• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Buffyverse Relationships

Wezza Wozza

Townie
If you had to pick your favourite Buffyverse relationship, what would it be? It can be a romantic relationship or even a comedic pairing such as Angel and Spike

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
Definitely Buffy and Faith because to me they cover so many different types of dynamics I almost don’t need to go to any other relationships in the show for anything 😂. They have a subtext that makes for good shipping potential, the nature of them both being slayers provided a really natural sisterly dynamic, they were great for the short time they were friends and they made for excellent enemies for a while. So what more could I want? 😄

Miss Muffet

"Can I trade in the children for more cash?"
Buffy and Angel.

If I had to choose a favorite that wasn't part of the Spuffel triangle, I would probably chose Willow/Oz for a canon pairing, and Spike/Tara for non-canon.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Spike and Dru.

I love villain relationships and they had one of the longest relationships on the show. Spike was certainly happier with Dru and I liked how caring they could be towards one another. They also showed that vampires were more than just monsters for Buffy to kill.

Stake fodder

Soulless
One of my favorites is Giles and Buffy, a supportive relationship that grows into mutual respect.

Not my favorite, but I want to mention Spike and Xander, who have some great mutual-dislike comedic scenes.

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
My absolute favourite relationship/dynamic in the Buffyverse is Angel and Connor. No other dynamic gets to me like that one, ugh, the tragedy of the lost relationship and all the potential of what could have been had things gone differently *sobs*

Priceless

Scooby
Buffy and Spike. Their relationship has so much depth and meaning. It allows both characters to be emotionally honest with each other in a way no other relationship allows. They transcend television romance in a way few others have. It's dangerous, it's brutal and it's so unexpected from a teen show (or any show really)

Priceless

Scooby
I think the opposite. The heroin falling in love with his enemy is something very common in television history.
Oh yes, that is definitely a trope, but I'd never seen it done this way before. Over 5 seasons, where the male character changes so completely and the women constantly pushes him away. If Buffy had fallen for him from day one and he'd changed from day two, that's expected. But Buffy pushed him away constantly and he changed constantly. Maybe that happens a lot and I've just not watched enough tv, but from what I see, a gorgeous vampire shows up, bats his eyelashes and the good girl falls for him straight away, and suddenly he's not so bad. For me, that's not the Spuffy story at all.

Antho
Antho
I understand

Faded90

Scooby
Buffy and Faith

Every single version of it. From friends with an edge of jealousy to enemies with an edge of caring for each other to friends who finally stand at each other’s side. Both of their feelings about each other is so complex and yet I buy it every single time, they kind of flip a coin about each other all the time and it totally makes sense. Like I totally get that Faith wakes up from being out in a coma after their violent fight and is hurt that Buffy got on with her life and believes that she is someone that should ‘matter’ to her. That Faith goes from genuinely enjoying ruining her life in every way possible to then being most concerned about how she’ll ever make things right with ‘one person who tried to be her friend’. I totally buy that Buffy still wants to save her life after that and I totally buy that Buffy in S7 goes from ‘look at this murderer’ to ‘how dare you slag her off’ in the space of one day. I love all of it!

I feel like it’s one of the few relationships in the whole verse whose issues actually get addressed and not simply whitewashed away with memory wipes, souls and erm no more veins and black hair. Like there’s no shrugging away their issues which means sometimes it’s knarly and bitchy but yeah why wouldn’t it be? It feels like the understanding and trust they come to in End of Days/Chosen actually feels earned. They’re both mature enough to discuss it and get it out in the open and I love that neither feels the need to coddle each other and they’ll call each other out if they disagree with each other. Plus Sarah and Eliza just had such amazing chemistry together, like they can be having a fairly standard scene and they can make it pop.

Then there was post canon when they realised they were in love and lived happily ever after....

BelieveInFaith
BelieveInFaith
Love every word of this!

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Wesley and Lilah. Wesley is best as the dark lover and Lilah is the one person in the Buffyverse who makes no excuses for her own behaviour and accepts the consequences for everything she does rather than blaming other people or circumstances. This is a relationship between adults and Wesley gives her a final sendoff by cutting her head off in case the cause of death had been vampirism. Is there anything more romantic than that? This is a truly adult relationship that is watchable just to see how far they will go next.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Xander and Cordelia. In the past few years, it has grown to be my favorite pairing, romantic or otherwise, from the Buffyverse. Whether it's the S1 version where they just snipe at each other, or the version where they are dating (and sniping at each other), or the post-breakup edgier, tenser version (where they snipe at each other). I would have given anything to see them in just one episode after Cordy's time on Angel and Xander's character growth in S4; like maybe Cordy gets a vision in Angel S2 while she and Wes and Gunn are leading their own agency, and she comes to Sunnydale by herself and winds up helping Xander to save the day in Buffy S5. Just something silly similar to the troll episode with Willow and Anya. Ugh, I feel cheated!

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
Hottest/Sexiest & most interesting/compelling relationship : Spuffy (seconded by Dangel)
Favorite romantic & cute relationship : Willow/Tara
Favorite platonic relationship : Giles & Buffy

Top Bottom