• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Discussion of 2.06 "Guise Will Be Guise" - Aired 11/7/2000 (WB-US)

Flannen

Flannix
Angel travels to a mystical swami to help him understand his haunting dreams and to find his path again, but while he is away Wesley assumes Angel's identity to try to save a young girl and rather enjoys playing the role of a vampire with a soul.

Source: TV.com

Discuss this episode here!

Hale Caesar

Sunnydale Nerd
Words can not describe how much I love this episode, I just re-watched it and it made me remember why Angel is so awesome, and just how talented Jane Espenson is

- The swami revealing Angel's psychology was great, does Angel care too about appearances? David Boreanaz also shone this episode and shows just how great his comedic timing is "it's just a car" lol

- Was Angel only with Buffy because she was so similar to Darla?

- Cordelia's face when those guys were singing Cher, lol

- Wesley pretending to be Angel. Enough said.

- Wesley drinking the blood!!! Alexis Denisof is awesome :D

- So many classic lines in this episode, "I'm not a eunuch", "the curse isn't even that clear" LOL

- Cordelia jealous of Wesley's new fame haha

Overall hilarious episode, with some surprising insight on our characters and how they perceive Angel.

Jules

Bite Me
Black Thorn
This episode was hillarious!! All of Wesley's parts had me laughing out loud, him falling over Angel's coat, entering the house without an invite, freaking out at his reflection, touching the cross etc I'm ignoring the fake zen master's comment about ''hooking up with another petite blonde girl to get over Darla''. His relationship with Buffy was more than a rebound from Darla. The fact that they look alike is a mute point ;) I love that Wesley got to say Angel's line and lead the group!! The demon was a little disappointing, the look wasnt good at all.

Charmander

Potential
I have to admit, I was expecting this episode to be a snoozefest when I read it was about Angel trying to get over his obsession with Darla, but Wesley really made this episode. Especially when he saw himself in the mirror, and doing the over-the-top thing Angel does with his hand.
And Cordy made a good point about Angel's name being girly; it probably still would have been funny with her impersonating him instead.
Fishhook through the lip! Yowch!
I felt sorry for Virginia though; I was surprised that Wes didn't make more of an effort to tell her. She looked like a mix between Kate Bush and Merida from Brave.
Favourite line:
Angel: What's happened? Were you in Virginia?

GreyWalker1958
GreyWalker1958
"That's besides the point"

Mr Trick

Scooby
Used to like this episode but now just find it a bit lame. Its a regression for Wesley to have him fall back on his old whimpy and cheesy character. Also the timing of it in the season haults the Darla arc and what they had been building with Angel.

Guy

Scooby
Black Thorn
And Jane Espenson rides into 'Angel', to save season 2 from its terrible mediocrity! God, I love this episode. Let me count the ways in which I love it:

- Obviously, everything about this episode is hilarious. I could list it, but I'd just be writing down every line of dialogue in the episode.

- I love the fact that Wesley and Cordelia mock Angel's broodiness just as much as I do.

- I love all the ways in which this episode deconstructs stereotypical masculinity. Why DOES Angel own a convertible?

- It has foreshadowing for 'Epiphany', with all the talk about Angel's curse and how "it's not a sex thing".

- Virginia was played by a terrific actress, for a one-episode character. She became really likeable in a really short amount of time, and her chemistry with Wesley was great.

- Actually, all of the guest actors were really good. The fake Swammi, the various italian gangsters, Virginia...

- "Angel? Pretty much a girly name!" RIGHT?!

- I think this might be the only episode in the Buffyverse in which sex not only didn't result in disaster, but actually SAVED THE DAY! Virginia's life was saved because she wasn't a virgin (hee). Yay for feminism!

- No Darla here, thank god. Just good fun with our main characters.

Used to like this episode but now just find it a bit lame. Its a regression for Wesley to have him fall back on his old whimpy and cheesy character.

Well, it's not like Wesley could just go from a total wimp to a badass in just 15 episodes. He was now more capable than in season 1, but he still had a ways to go. It's like Willow - she didn't just go from a wimp to a badass over one season, it took a whole bunch of years.

Also the timing of it in the season haults the Darla arc and what they had been building with Angel.

Yeah, but the Darla arc pretty much sucked until this point, so good riddance.

Mr Trick

Scooby
And Jane Espenson rides into 'Angel', to save season 2 from its terrible mediocrity! God, I love this episode. Let me count the ways in which I love it:

- Obviously, everything about this episode is hilarious. I could list it, but I'd just be writing down every line of dialogue in the episode.

- I love the fact that Wesley and Cordelia mock Angel's broodiness just as much as I do.

- I love all the ways in which this episode deconstructs stereotypical masculinity. Why DOES Angel own a convertible?

- It has foreshadowing for 'Epiphany', with all the talk about Angel's curse and how "it's not a sex thing".

- Virginia was played by a terrific actress, for a one-episode character. She became really likeable in a really short amount of time, and her chemistry with Wesley was great.

- Actually, all of the guest actors were really good. The fake Swammi, the various italian gangsters, Virginia...

- "Angel? Pretty much a girly name!" RIGHT?!

- I think this might be the only episode in the Buffyverse in which sex not only didn't result in disaster, but actually SAVED THE DAY! Virginia's life was saved because she wasn't a virgin (hee). Yay for feminism!

- No Darla here, thank god. Just good fun with our main characters.

Well, it's not like Wesley could just go from a total wimp to a badass in just 15 episodes. He was now more capable than in season 1, but he still had a ways to go. It's like Willow - she didn't just go from a wimp to a badass over one season, it took a whole bunch of years.

Yeah, but the Darla arc pretty much sucked until this point, so good riddance.

I think the actress playing Virginia is fine. Its just they didn't do enough with the character or her relationship with Wesley.

Yeah I just didn't find the comedy in the episode that funny. It maybe one of the differences between the shows, that the comedy in Buffy is just sharper, and fits more into the fabric of that show.

Each to their own. I was enjoying the Darla arc. It dragged a little bit, but it was mostly good stuff for me.

Guy

Scooby
Black Thorn
I think the actress playing Virginia is fine. Its just they didn't do enough with the character or her relationship with Wesley.

I thought they did good...

Yeah I just didn't find the comedy in the episode that funny. It maybe one of the differences between the shows, that the comedy in Buffy is just sharper, and fits more into the fabric of that show.

Usually I'd agree, but the humor in this episode felt VERY Buffy-like to me. I mean - it's a Jane Espenson episode! And it shows! "NOT a eunuch!"

Mr Trick

Scooby
Yeah just thought it was a bit clitche. I liked bits of the episodes, but overall didn't think much of it. Guess what I meant is that sort of humor fits more with the tone of Buffy than Angel.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
The drawer hates Wes :p

Wes ??? Special abilities ??? o_O

Cordy, what's with the clothes ??? o_O

At least Angel isn't sleeping the day away :)

Cordy, Angel, stop with the elevator fight :mad:

Gunn, it's weirder than you think...

Gunn, he's gonna sing, and it's going to be horrible :p

Guess there will be no singing tonight.

Cordy's Angel imitation :D

A gun :eek:

Wes as Angel :p

How is the car a problem ??? o_O

Good acting, Wes :)

Wes, do it, Cordy wants the money :p

Virginia ??? that's a horrible name...

Wes ??? Shopping ??? o_O

He's turning 50, get him a gift :p

Wes, continue being Angel :)

Angel, shrinks always tell you things that you never knew before...

So, this is a scam :eek:

Bedroom guards ??? that's crazy...

Angel, get over Darla...

Virginia, run away :D

Wes, your cover is about to blow...

Wes, keep covering up...

Angel caught you :D

Death by fish hook :p

Wes, leave, now...

Wes has been caught :eek:

Sacrifice ??? :eek:

Virginia should not be sacrificed...

At least AI came just in time...

She's an ugly demon :eek:

Virginia, make him angry :D

Next time: Flashbacks.

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
One day as Angel and Wesley is getting laid (and Angel-blocked first).

The swami asks Angel about how others see him. How does Wes see Angel? I find really interesting how pretending to be Angel gives him enough confidence to reach his full potential and kick ass. Wes sees Angel as someone who is confident in his masculinity (and the swami thinks he isn't lol) and who knows how to handle himself and be tough. Wes also sees Angel as someone who doesn't let himself be intimidated (Wes playing Angel says something like "I'll go with you but I shan't be cooperative") and adopts a lower tone of voice and a more tense posture to project Angel. Cordelia, on the other hand, doesn't see Angel as a noble vampire warrior, but rather has a martyr with great brooding skills. Unlike Wesley, Cordelia doesn't idolize Angel.

The fake swami is really a cheap knockoff. He speaks mostly in BS but accidentally explains certain aspects of Angel, and he does this with enough confidence to fool him. He insists that Angel's persona isn't the real him - that the real him is the vampire and that he has to stop fighting the demon - and that his clothing and car are just for appearances, because he wants to come across a certain way. However, the episode itself disproves this. Angel likes his car and his clothing because he likes to look nice, not because he wants people to think he's a badass. He practically begs Wesley for his coat back in a really non-badass way. Although it is true that his look is a bit affected, because Angel is a tad more dorky and awkward that he lets on to people. And Angel has to fight the demon, because not fighting it is what makes Angel not himself. The minute he starts trying to be bad and uncaring is the minute he becomes someone else - Angel only goes back to being Angel in Epiphany.

I really loved the last scene with the whole gang rescuing Virginia. Cordy looks impressed at how Virginia punches her dad, Angel is worried about people calling him a eunuch (proving the fake swami right in this case) and Wesley is busy being a superhero.

This episode is just really delightful and a nice break between the angst of Dear Boy and Darla.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Man I had forgotten how much I thoroughly enjoy this episode.

Fake swami and Angel is hilarious even if he incredibly off base as @Carrie Hopewell points out above.

And even if it is a bit of a cheap shot the reference to Buffy makes me laugh (find another small blonde..)

Wesley acting like a vampire is pure comic genius. The Cordelia dig re Angel brooding. This is the Espenson I love, just in small controlled doses.

I love Wes in this episode. It doesn't feel like a regression of his character to me at all. He retains some of his former characteristics but he is shown to be a capable leader, a fighter and hot dang he looks hot.

The only thing is: not sure what was going on with Cordelia's hair in the first part of the episode.

The Season 2 greatness continues.

Kratos

Scooby
This was the first episode of Angel I ever watched (used to think it was Dear Boy until I rewatched Guise Will Be Guise recently). Got me hooked enough on the show to want to watch the rest of S2 back in the day (mid 2002). Still a great episode for reasons already mentioned in this thread.

Last edited:
Puppet
Puppet
That's definitely a great hook to get someone to watch the rest :D

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
tumblr_lehpcdf9t01qzr77io1_500.gif

GreyWalker1958

Potential
😆 @ Wes drinking Blood. Oh, stop! If Cordy can chug some (even if with hypnotic demonic pregnancy), you can chug it too.

Come to think of it, pretty much everyone except Fred, Connor, and Lorne drank pigs blood

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Of The Abyss
Black Thorn
Yes, Wesley completely stole this episode. The scenes at Bryce's house were especially good. Wesley pretending to be Angel was DEFINITELY one of the funniest things in the entire series (My admiration for Alexis' comedic timing has no bounds).

But it was THIS scene that really had me giggling like a 5-year-old:

76kAeVZ.jpg

LhV7O6J.jpg

😂😂

Last edited:

Priceless

Scooby
POTN had done his review. I think it's a bit all over the place, but he makes some interesting points.

RDHWesley

Odd Individual
Another of my favourite episodes. This sums up why Wesley is my favourite character in the Buffyverse, hell, in anything. He starts off the episode lacking confidence, blaming himself for everything and believing himself to be useless. Throughout the episode, people (including Cordelia) tell him that he can't handle things by himself, and yet by the end, he's figured out what's going on and leads the charge to stop it; it's a genuinely heart-warming story about letting go of your self-doubt and having the confidence to do what's right. The scene where he fights off the two guards, and is surprised to realise just how badass that was, and that he did it, is symbolic of his whole arc in this episode, and the series. Not to mention, there are countless moments that make me howl with laughter; blood in the vase, being invited in, tripping over Angel's coat, pretending to be burned by the cross, even trying to imitate Angel's mannerisms are all hilarious. And the bit where Virginia asks him why he came back to the house, and he responds with, 'I said I would protect you' brings a tear to my eye.

Angel also gets some really great scenes as well; the conversations he has with the fake Tish M'Gev are at times funny, insightful, thought-provoking, and give you a new insight into Angel's character. Really, there is so much to enjoy here, and it all feels so tightly paced and plotted, that like with AYNOHYEB, this is one that I honestly can't find fault with.

Stake fodder

What about my me?
Not a lot to say about this episode that hasn't been said above. It had some really great comedy bits, and I loved Cordelia and Wesley both getting to pretend to be Angel, Wesley a lot more, obviously.

The fake swami should consider going into the biz legitimately. I'm glad someone finally pointed out to Angel that his land yacht is bad for the environment. It's cute how guileless Angel is throughout this episode.

"Dear God! That's... nummy."🤢:p

Top Bottom