• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Euro 2020/21

Mr Trick

Scooby
Thought it'd be worth starting a new thread for this.

Who do you think will win?

Who will be the stand out players of the tournament? Including any surprises like young players who will break out?

How will your country do?

Its nice from a UK point of view to have three of the home nations involved including Scotland for their first tournament since 1998. I think I might adopt the Scots :D

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
When is the world cup?

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Seems to be a lot of negativity around England and Southgate but I'm really looking forward to it. I thought 2018 was a lot of fun and despite what some people think was an easy run I believe Southgate got more out of that group than was expected going into the tournament.

Hard to pick a winner as I'm not up on the international teams. Quick scan of players and I'd say France, Belgium and Portugal look strong. The manager who can assess the energy levels of his squad best after this weird season will have a big edge.

Mostly just hoping to be able to watch it with mates and a few beers.

Mr Trick

Scooby
The World Cup run to the semis for England feels like a one off to me. But I agree that Southgate did a steady job and it was a enjoyable tournament. I guess its wait and see this time. The last eight is a realistic aim. Anything else should be treated as a bonus.

It will be interesting to see if Belgium can finally live up to their promise.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
The struggle this time is going to be the perception of England having an embarrassment of riches. Which is sort of true on paper but isn't necessarily true on the pitch at this moment in time. Goalkeeper and centre back positions look particularly suspect and that's bound to make selecting a formation awkward. Especially with defensive mid options a bit thin as well.

Mr Trick

Scooby
It’s in 2022. So technically it isn’t the next Christmas. There is Christmas 2021 before.
Hey, we haven't had this Christmas yet so to me its next Christmas :p

@The Bronze That's fair I think the lack of depth and not knowing the best team is England's main problem. I hear their taking 4 right backs which is a bit over the top. I think there's also the worry of the top attacking players delivering on the big stage. For many of them this will be their biggest games for England. I do have my doubts over someone like Kane now.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
@Mr Trick I wouldn't worry about Kane. If he's fit and we get the ball to him he'll score. The right back situation looks silly but they're quite versatile. Some of them can cover centre back or play as a winger.

My concern was listening to Southgate talk about making room for players with fitness doubts. Maguire and Henderson being the main ones. I know the squad is a bit bigger this time so less of a gamble but still. Anyone not fit for the start shouldn't be involved. Finding fitness during a tournament doesn't happen, we've seen it before with Rooney and Beckham.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
I remember the good old days, when I watched England win the World Cup.
If any English team got to the final and were winning, at half time half the team would come down with Covid-19, and if they did I'd blame the Irish linesman .. .. .. Murphy's law!

Mr Trick

Scooby
In a way a surprise team winning is more likely at the moment. I just feel that some of the top countries haven't been as dominate in recent years. Germany can't be written off, but feel like they are still rebuilding.

Antho

Scooby
Belgium are dangerous. Plus they are still angry against France for the defeat in the semi final of World Cup 2018. If we meet them, there will be some revenge in the air.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Eden and Rom are going to clean house? Housework and Football?
I have experience of cleaning a house, therefore, how about an all female team?

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
These friendlies are crazy. A bit of a break with managed training would do teams the world of good I would imagine. Just injuries waiting to happen.

Buffy Summers
Buffy Summers
Completely agree

Mr Trick

Scooby
Normally I'm anti friendlies just because they've been devalued so much over the years (starting around 1994-5 sort of time). In the run up to a tournament they make a bit more sense, but yeah I can't argue that the injury risk maybe isn't worth it. Also I have no need to watch another friendly in my life :D

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
It would be different if this was a normal year, but they've had to play so many matches...and then after the Euro they get a month "off" (probably not really) before the season starts again. It's mad.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
True but since their going to be playing at the Euros soon anyway I don't know if a couple of extra matches make that much difference.
Top Bottom