• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

If Buffy had been made in another decade

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
If Buffy was made today, it would all be about identity politics. In many ways, Buffy was a show built for the 90s just like the Fresh Prince of Bel Air and Friends. Sure they could be remade, but how they were presented in the 90s which made them beloved is not how they would be able to be presented today.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
Most surreal to me in OUAT was Belle sympathizing with Merida over lack of respect for females (which grossly violates the canon of Brave, and of the Enchanted Forest where the most feared being was Regina, the most hailed Snow White, etc, etc).
Oromous
Oromous
More surreal was the use of Merida, period, which wasn't even technically a creation of Disney but Pixar. It's like having Boba Fett in Guardians of the Galaxy 3 just because they're now both owned by Disney.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
@thrasherpix There was no real reason for having Merida in OUAT other than "look it's another Disney character we just copy and pasted!". I don't think the writers really knew what to do with Belle's character from as far back as Season 2. They wanted her there for RumBelle but other than that she would disappear for episodes at a time until she could be used against Rumple or for RumBelle drama.

Oromous
Oromous
Belle is so underused. Her character in the animated Beauty and the Beast was more than just a bookish compassionate girl who sees the beauty in a beast; she was smart and a rebel against the "provincial life" of the middle ages.

Faded90

Potential
If Buffy was made now, vampires would probably be more romanticised, less evil, and more human like. They would probably ''take over'' the show and Buffy would be showed in the background, and the majority of the time used as a plot device to feed into the vampire narrative. She would maybe even become a villain in her own story in the eyes of the audience, portrayed whiny, annoying and selfish.

So it would be Spuffy in S7 😉😂

Oromous
Oromous
Still a better story than Twilight.
Priceless
Priceless
Spuffy was great in all the seasons *sigh

thrasherpix

Scooby
@thrasherpix There was no real reason for having Merida in OUAT other than "look it's another Disney character we just copy and pasted!". I don't think the writers really knew what to do with Belle's character from as far back as Season 2. They wanted her there for RumBelle but other than that she would disappear for episodes at a time until she could be used against Rumple or for RumBelle drama.
I didn't want to post more because it would be "off topic" but since we're going OT anyway...

They didn't copy/paste because if anything, females had more respect in Brave. Heck, at one point when Fergus the Bear King is trying to keep order, the men order the Queen be brought out to settle the matter!

And who can forget this?

But I'm supposed to believe they just exiled her out of hand and practically forgot about her? It's not like they were this way because they feared Fergus as they were pummeling him here and yelled at him disrespectfully more than once in the movie. So they had real respect for her.

Of course Belle grew up where females made up plenty of villains AND heroines. Even the ones who are feared have something resembling respect. Heck, even Hook and plenty of other scoundrels were plenty respectful of women.

But now the pair want to carry on like they're on tumblr in our world? It completely took me out of the story because that's not how either would see the world. I know they twist the faerie tales around a bit, but they did a good job of it in the first 3 seasons, and then it was lazy at best. (I suppose it could be salvaged if Belle said something along the lines of "from what I noticed from Storybrook" but I got the impression they were as aware of the rest of the world only marginally more than the rest of the world was of it. And even in Storybrook they were ruled over by Regina, and waiting for a Savior who is a woman...AND I'd want them to be less lazy with how they portrayed the characters of Brave.)

I think what annoys me the most is that this cynical corporate formula is promoted by people who have a network (complete with protecting each other) of no recognizable morals and likely make use of the casting couches. I can't help but think they hold us, the viewers, in contempt as they cater to us, clapping like trained seals for fish with their "woke" story lines and "moral messages" that they themselves scoff at.

(Though that said, I think the most inexcusably underused character was Red, especially given that she was supposedly Snow's best friend...oh, and from Granny to Red's Mother, more females that got respect....though I understand that PARTIALLY it was the schedule of the actress, but when I skipped ahead to Red-centric eps I found her presence and story lines so uninteresting despite how much I was looking forward to them that I gave up on the series completely.)

@Oromous Good point, seeing that South Park ep on the Jonas Brothers (The Ring) can be a little surreal as it was made shortly before Disney bought Pixar out (who Mickey Mouse accuses the boys of working for to sabotage him). I didn't care for how Disney mocked Merida's accent in the Wreck It Ralph 2 movie, though I might've liked it better had Brave not already done it first (using another character, which did get me to pondering how Scottish clans from--back then--long distances understood each other since more than just their accents changed over distance, but then that was a world in which the ambitious sent from the capital cities were seen as being in exile even if they officially weren't as the rest of the world didn't matter to them).

While I'm at it, I was one of the few who was excited to see Disney buy Star Wars as finally my favorite novels, comics, and characters could be brought to the screen. But now I'm so done with Disney Star Wars. Haven't seen a single ep of the Mandalorian (and no one here will change my mind) and don't aww over Baby Yoda. Darth Vader seems to be the only thing they can't mess up, and I'm sure that's because Darth Vader is too awesome for even Disney to tarnish.

Last edited:

forbuss

Witch
It's hard to imagine Buffy happening in a post Buffy world - so many shows tried to duplicate the magic that Buffy cast on it's audience, but I don't think anyone really accomplished this. Some shows were great after (Charmed, Roswell) but the ones that happened many years later I didn't like so much (Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, etc).

So, assuming Buffy never happened and the trickle down effect of other shows didn't happen, I'd like to think it would be much of the same. Cerebral, subversive, irreverent and pointing to itself. I would hope that there would be more diversity and that most of the Black characters didn't die...

I just wanted to add I've always saw a connection between Wes Craven's Scream series and Buffy - and not only because SMG was in both (haha).

burrunjor
burrunjor
The great irony though is that Sarah in both Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer plays the very role Buffy was supposed to subvert LOL.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
They didn't copy/paste
They did for the Frozen and Brave characters in a way. Their appearances were identical to their movies (same with Maleficent and her Angelina Jolie Maleficent costume) rather than being something new like it was with Snow and Ariel or Hook or Regina etc, whilst the writers basically used the movies as backstory for the characters which only works if the audience has seen the movies.

(Though that said, I think the most inexcusably underused character was Red, especially given that she was supposedly Snow's best friend...oh, and from Granny to Red's Mother, more females that got respect....though I understand that PARTIALLY it was the schedule of the actress, but when I skipped ahead to Red-centric eps I found her presence and story lines so uninteresting despite how much I was looking forward to them that I gave up on the series completely.)
I don't think they knew what to do with Red once they made her a regular (same thing with Belle). Red's actress asked to be let out of her contract because she wasn't being used in episodes (and had no romance with one of the core characters) but as she was on contract as a regular, she couldn't go elsewhere. The guy who played Will in Season 4 had the same experience of being made a regular then not being given anything substantial. Robert Carlyle (Rumple) even advised the actress who played Merida to turn down the offer of being made a regular and find work elsewhere.

While I'm at it, I was one of the few who was excited to see Disney buy Star Wars as finally my favorite novels, comics, and characters could be brought to the screen. But now I'm so done with Disney Star Wars. Haven't seen a single ep of the Mandalorian (and no one here will change my mind) and don't aww over Baby Yoda. Darth Vader seems to be the only thing they can't mess up, and I'm sure that's because Darth Vader is too awesome for even Disney to tarnish.
They kind of wrecked Darth Vader with the prequels by turning him into the whiny Anakin Skywalker

Back on topic, I think Buffy is just one of those shows that appeared on TV at the right time.

Top Bottom