• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Queer Netflix vampire drama First Kill announces full cast

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Queer Netflix vampire drama First Kill announces full cast
https://www.avclub.com/author/gabrielle-sanchez
by Gabrielle Sanchez

Netflix’s upcoming vampire drama series continues to take form. Elizabeth Mitchell (Lost), Aubin Wise (Atlanta), Jason Robert Moore (The Punisher), Gracie Dzienny, Will Swenson, Phillip Mullings Jr., Dominic Goodman, and Dylan McNamara joined the full cast of First Kill, giving face to the Fairmont and Burns families. Sarah Catherine Hook and Imani Lewis were previously announced as the leading cast members, Juliette Fairmont and Calliope Burns. MK xyz, Jonas Dylan Allen, and Roberto Mendez join First Kill as additional cast members in the series, all in their debut series roles. Overall, the series is bolstered with young actors and a diverse cast—a stark difference from typical shows in the vampire canon.

The series, based on short story by New York Times best-selling author Victoria “V. E.” Schwab of the same name, follows teenage vampire Juliette as she’s pressured to take on her first kill as a member of her powerful vampire family. Her target, new girl in town Calliope, turns out to be a fearless vampire hunter from a long line of successful slayers. As the pair get to know each other, they begin to fall for one another. That’s right, Schwab’s not just sticking with that age-old Vampiric Homoerotic Subtext trope. No, First Kill is explicitly queer. Now, we don’t want any comparisons to Twilight here, this is strictly a dream premise: it’s the diverse lesbian version of Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

The series recently entered production with Felicia D. Henderson, known for her work on The Punisher, Empire, Gossip Girl, and Soul Food, serving as writer, showrunner, and executive producer. Emma Roberts and Karah Preiss serve as executive producers, along with the creator, executive producer and writer Schwab.

Source: AV Club

This could be good if it's actually done well, and they don't depend on the sexuality of the main characters for views instead of making a good show.

Bufy

Townie
Sounds promising, interesting concept, will just have to wait and hope for good writing and production.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
This could be good if it's actually done well, and they don't depend on the sexuality of the main characters for views instead of making a good show.
I think if they play up the Romeo & Juliet angle and don't draw attention to the fact that it's two women, then it might do well. If, on the other hand, the whole show is based around the fact that it has two lesbian leads, and the show really wants you to know they're lesbians, and it wants you to see how lesbian they are, and other characters constantly comment on how they're lesbians etc, then it is likely to end up as a dumpster fire of trash.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
How long will it be before films that make it obvious the leads are same sex orientated are ignored? Will there be a large viewership for the Netflix program?

When will a film have the lead actors be a male that prefers males in a relationship with a female who prefers females?

Stake fodder

Soulless
I'm intrigued by the fact that the vampire family has the same last name, as if they are really a family, and not a chosen "family", like our beloved Buffyverse vampires. Can vampires have children in this series?

Her target, new girl in town Calliope, turns out to be a fearless vampire hunter from a long line of successful slayers.
That's not just similar, that's practically a copyright violation! I'll be interested to hear opinions from those who watch it, but I don't subscribe to Netflix.

Reactions: Ann

Priceless

Scooby
It sounds very much like just another teen show to me, everyone of which has queer characters. It might have more depth, but vampires who don't kill, or need to be encouraged to kill? Seems a bit lame. I expect they only kill 'bad people' and actually fight crime on the side. I don't have Netflix so I'll not be watching.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Yea this seems like it could be interesting. If the trailer looks good, I'll check it out. Netflix is real big on the YA fantasy/supernatural shows, not all of them are great.

Ann

Nee chatwuann Bangel
Where I live, but really don't want to be.
I'm intrigued by the fact that the vampire family has the same last name, as if they are really a family, and not a chosen "family", like our beloved Buffyverse vampires. Can vampires have children in this series?

That's not just similar, that's practically a copyright violation! I'll be interested to hear opinions from those who watch it, but I don't subscribe to Netflix.
I agree with the copyright violation part if the Juliette and Calliope relationship is written like Bangel. I won’t be watching it as I am not really interested in watching another show about vampires. I don’t watch anything at all on Netflix since I am not big on streaming. I also don’t have a subscription. As for the family part they wanted to make sure it was not like the Cullen family in Twilight.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Is there anywhere I can get more information about how the series is and will proceed, because the announcement of a vampire being ordered to kill a girl who is from a long line of vampire hunters is, I see, nothing like BTVS.
Buffy the vampire slayer went after The Master whose family consisted of (ex humans) vampires with of no family relationship.
From what I remember Buffy went after Angel after accidentally finding out he is a vampire.
Maybe if the vampires could be like those in the series Valemont. Though that brings the question vampires were vampire from creationism or evolutionism.

Someone tell me where to find answers to might lack of understanding?

Stake fodder

Soulless
Is there anywhere I can get more information about how the series is and will proceed, because the announcement of a vampire being ordered to kill a girl who is from a long line of vampire hunters is, I see, nothing like BTVS.
Buffy the vampire slayer went after The Master whose family consisted of (ex humans) vampires with of no family relationship.
From what I remember Buffy went after Angel after accidentally finding out he is a vampire.
Maybe if the vampires could be like those in the series Valemont. Though that brings the question vampires were vampire from creationism or evolutionism.

Someone tell me where to find answers to might lack of understanding?
My objection was to the use of the word 'slayer' for similarity. But I'm sure they will make it different enough, and probably not use that word.

I tried looking around the Internet for more info, but there isn't much more than what was posted at the top here.

ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
Thank you for that, I know understand your post, reply #5.

Ann

Nee chatwuann Bangel
Where I live, but really don't want to be.
I was thinking the similarity could be the main relationship being Bangel like. There is not much difference between Vampire/ Vampire Hunter and Vampire/ Vampire Slayer. The series Buffy The Vampire Slayer is mentioned.

TriBel

Scooby
Juliette, on the other hand, is “a shy, kind teenage girl who was born a vampire and determined to not be a monster".

@Ann - if the Juliette and Calliope relationship is written like Bangel

I think the clue's in the name. Fairly sure Shakespeare was doing "star-crossed lovers" way before Whedon and Stoker pre-empted him with vampire hunters. "Buffy" could simply be a marketing ploy. It's based on a short story from Schwab's Vampires Never Get Old: Tales with Fresh Bite.

Hopefully, it's better than Dire's Straits' video.

Last edited:
Priceless
Priceless
I always liked that song, though less so now I've seen that video :oops:

LemonBanana

Scooby
Sineya
It sounds interesting and ill definitely check it out. I do hope they have a good plot/storyline and don't rely on the characters sexualities too much. If it is too Buffy-like then i might be less interested if its like they have copied them, but ill watch the trailer and have a looksee

Mr Trick

Scooby
Sounds worth a look. I don't mind them exploring female sexuality as a theme. There has to be a balance of course. The best way to do it is to use genre and methaphor a bit like Buffy did.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
The best way to do it is to use genre and methaphor
The show is "not just sticking with that age-old Vampiric Homoerotic Subtext trope. No, First Kill is explicitly queer" leads one to conclude that it won't be played safe and hiding behind metaphor but rather a show about Pride.

Mr Trick

Scooby
The show is "not just sticking with that age-old Vampiric Homoerotic Subtext trope. No, First Kill is explicitly queer" leads one to conclude that it won't be played safe and hiding behind metaphor but rather a show about Pride.
Depends how its done. I don't think hiding behind/using the metaphor is playing it safe. Its the point of Sci-Fi/fantasy etc.. to use genre as a way to explore real life themes. Much more interesting than just doing a bland everyday drama.

If its a modern show then I'm up for that because TV should move with the times. But there's still room for subtly.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Depends how its done.
Considering how the majority of Netflix shows are done, you can deduce how this will be done as well. Needless to say... we'll see. I think it'll be rife with angst and melodrama. Especially considering the "source" material is only 30 pages. Not like the initial premise was something that spanned novels, ie, Southern Vampire Mysteries or Vampire Diaries, so I imagine the people at Netflix got their Netflix on and really Netflixed out the scripts just so it can be canceled after the first season.

Stake fodder

Soulless
Juliette, on the other hand, is “a shy, kind teenage girl who was born a vampire and determined to not be a monster".
Thanks for finding that. It therefore brings up some interesting ethical questions, such as, is it right to hate/kill someone who was just born that way? That's also an obvious metaphor for homosexuality, though it seems rather passe' now.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Personally I think the question ought to be why there isn't a law on what vampires are? Over the years there has been some silly variations, twinkle skin, day walkers. Should the shape of a face be contorted or not, admittedly I'd have liked to see a vampire talk - Mazikeen of the Lilith speaking demon speak, from the TV series Lucifer. As far as I remember, when a human is bitten by a vampire the demonic element of the vampire takes residency and the person becomes a vampire, until it is known what the type of demon is no one can know if a child can be born = therefore one job for a few vampires might be a scientist/ researcher to find a translation for demon speak + to find the limitations to child / vampire birth. Have the scientists establish the possibility of a
homosexual or same sex union existing; that is a human thing not a demon thing so it shouldn't even exist.

Every new film TV series with vampires seems to have a variance on the original theme also a variance occurs when different countries use, so which country did the vampire fable begin?
The Dracula book was written in England, a couple of films followed but didn't create a mass following it was the Hammer House of Horror (Greater London, England) that took vampires to world wide attention and fame.
I wonder what other variation of what is, will the scriptwriters try to get away with.

Stake fodder

Soulless
Personally I think the question ought to be why there isn't a law on what vampires are? Over the years there has been some silly variations, twinkle skin, day walkers. Should the shape of a face be contorted or not
But then we'd have to argue over which entity has the right to make the vampire laws!

Top Bottom