• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Rate the Last Movie You've seen #39

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Even after all these years, there are times that I forget the dinosaurs aren’t real.
It really is amazing how well the whole film stands up. Especially the effects. A lot of films look dodgy watching them after a couple of years have passed never mind 30.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Firestarter (2022) 6/10
A nice surprise was Carpenter involved in the music. The 1980s feel to the synth score maybe the highlight of the movie. Overall the film's hit and miss, but as remakes go solid enough. Much better when its being a pulpy b-movie than when it takes itself more seriously, it becomes too silly and cheesy. Decent cast, though Efon could have lightened his performance up a bit. Worth a watch for the right crowd.

@Plasma Yeah I had no idea either. It was a nice surprise.

Last edited:
Plasma
Plasma
REALLY? I had no idea Carpenter was involved. Already was planning to see this, but now I’m sold
T
thrasherpix
This is a remake I'm actually interested in, and wouldn't be surprised if I like it better than the original movie.

Plasma

Not Lurking, Standing About. Whole different vibe.
Staff member
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 7/10

Rewatching this, the movie has a lot of problems. Like, “a lot” a lot. Some I was already aware of when I first saw it a year ago (the stupid parent plotline ripped from the godawful Clone Saga is particularly egregious), but some popped up on this viewing. I think overall the movie is just really sloppy and plodding, especially with the Oscorp/Parents junk and Peter & Gwen breaking up (again?!?).

So I guess the movie would probably rank around a 5-6 on its own, HOWEVER, this immediately gets shot up a point or two because they just nailed Spider-Man. I still believe that Garfield is the best to wear the suit, and the CG work is so astounding at times that it puts movies today, 8 years later, to shame. Whenever Spider-Man starts swinging around, the movie just works so well.

The relationship between himself and Gwen is also so amazing and heartbreaking to watch. I’m sure the secret is out by now, but the end of this movie is an absolutely gut-wrenching adaptation of one of Spidey’s most famous stories, and it is powerful. Somehow, someway, the movie almost elicits actual tears with the execution of that scene, and it is jaw-dropping.

If anyone is interested in seeing great Spider-Man stuff, I would recommend this with the caveat that the plot is really clunky. Still, some of the best Spider-Man scenes out of any of his films, and I still think it’s the best screen adaptation of the character that has been done yet.

Last edited:
Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
agree, I saw this for the first time last year, and it wasn't as bad as everyone says, but it does have a lot of problems. I do love Garfield in the role.

Plasma

Staff member
The Burning - 4/10

A really cheap Friday the 13th ripoff. The only reason to watch is the effects by Tom Savini and some cool shots. There’s a neatly backlit shot of the killer in a coat and hat like 10 mins in, and there’s a pretty great shot of the killer raising his signature hedge trimmers above his head at around the 70 min. mark. Also Jason Alexander (in his first on screen appearance) is in it and lives to the end, so this is actually a Seinfeld prequel, confirmed! ;)

giphy-downsized-large.gif

The movie actually gets so cheap by the end that a character falls through an old wooden door, looks at the ceiling, and is shocked to see…an actual still from earlier in the freaking movie! It’s supposed to be someone’s body, but you can SEE the trees from where they badly cropped it! It’s so awful! After he gets up, they go so far as to literally re-use footage from like 15 seconds earlier! I couldn’t believe what I was seeing!

Oh, and since this is a bad 80s slasher movie they just shamelessly show boobs and buttcheeks whenever possible. There’s an actual sequence where a character takes a shower and gets scared that some little perv is peeping on her, which is ironic considering the camera literally zooms out during the shower for the express purpose of showing cleavage. So tacky and tasteless. :rolleyes:

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Alexander with a full set of hair is quite something!

Dogs of Winter

Potential
Encanto - 7.5
It took me about 20 minutes to get into it but ended up winning me over. It was funny and infectiously energetic with some likeable characters and an appealing weird streak. While the central themes of family, acceptance etc werent original they were handled in a joyful and moving way. I think I would enjoy it even more on a rewatch.

Scream (2022) - 6
Well made, funny and an enjoyable watch but a little too self referential at times and not remotely scary. The original Scream was scary as well as funny but this seemed to be intentionally not scary.
And I am not an expert on the Scream franchise like some on here, but it was so obvious from the beginning who the 2 culprits were. So is that part of the joke in all the Scream sequels that you are always meant to know who did it from the beginning?

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
I agree, I liked Scream 5 as a fun slasher, but it was way too meta, and not really scary.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Encanto - 7.5
It took me about 20 minutes to get into it but ended up winning me over. It was funny and infectiously energetic with some likeable characters and an appealing weird streak. While the central themes of family, acceptance etc werent original they were handled in a joyful and moving way. I think I would enjoy it even more on a rewatch.

Scream (2022) - 6
Well made, funny and an enjoyable watch but a little too self referential at times and not remotely scary. The original Scream was scary as well as funny but this seemed to be intentionally not scary.
And I am not an expert on the Scream franchise like some on here, but it was so obvious from the beginning who the 2 culprits were. So is that part of the joke in all the Scream sequels that you are always meant to know who did it from the beginning?

Great review of Scream (2022) and I share some of your issues with it. I think it was so much of pastiche because it was a tribute to Craven. But yeah I too wanted a little bit more unpredictabilty or maybe a bolder choice for the killers. There's a balance to be struck between being a worthy Scream movie for the fans, and moving the frachise forward (not too much to ask for since this is now the 5th film), I don't think they got the right balance. I also agree it wasn't scary enough. Scream 2 is still the best of the sequels IMO.

Dogs of Winter
Dogs of Winter
OK so it wasn't intentional. Its been a long time since I have seen any of the sequels so I couldn't remember if them essentially telling you who the killers are early on was an in joke they did in all the sequels

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
I was disappointed who the killers were too because I was subscribed on Scream reddit & facebook & there was rumors/predictions of who the killers were by fans. When I watched the movie on theater I was hoping to be surprised but then Amber was revealed & then I saw Richie coming down the stairs towards Sam, I knew at that moment it was him (reminded me of Billy lol).
So yeah it sucked that the predictions before the movie was out in theaters were true lol.

Plasma

Staff member
@spikenbuffy I think you’re pretty much on my level there

Honestly…I don’t get why everyone online was so enamored with this movie. The movie felt lazy and really poorly done, and the whole “lampooning” of the soft reboot concept just fell flat on its face when the movie just did those tropes anyways. “We had to bring back
and kill
legacy characters,” the killer says, after the movie literally resorted to bringing back
and killing
people you recognize. If the movie was really trying to parody those elements, there should have been a scene where they call Sidney, we get a cameo of the actress answering the phone, and then she just tells them to go pound salt after they ask her to come fight a serial killer.

Scream in general doesn’t really have a place in today’s horror environment given that slasher films are few and far between. It worked in the late 90s because the genre was so oversaturated by lazy slasher movies. Nowadays it’s all artsy and folk horror.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
I think you have a point about the film doing what it critques. I guess that's part of the point of the satire, but I still think its a bit lazy.

Ghost Boy

Scooby
The Road (2009).

The whiny kid in this film really irritated the hell out of me. I kept hoping some of the cannibals would catch him and eat him but no such luck.

5/10.

MV5BMTAwNzk4NTU3NDReQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDg3OTEyODI@._V1_.jpg

Plasma
Plasma
I need to read the book, but I’m not quite ready for that experience yet.
Hunga Munga
Hunga Munga
I found it pretty shocking ...but also kind of uncomfortable . That's not why I watch movies . Just grim and tragic throughout .

Plasma

Staff member
@Mr Trick honestky they should have just named this one Just Scream

Tongue in cheek reference to the fact that soft reboots just use the same title ;)

As far as Ghostspace goes, I am now extremely interested in watching that and will accept no substitutes. Get on it Hollywood!

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - 4/10
So, I watched this movie twice to see if my feelings changed (they didn't). It saddens me to say this is on the lower end of Marvel movies. I should have been great, but I have a lot of problems with this movie. A lot of this will be spoilers, so only read if you've seen the movie. First, the movie does start off well with the introduction of America Chavez who has the power to literally punch a hole in the multiverse. I really liked her character and her powers, I hope they do more with her going forward. Unfortunately after about 20 minutes the movie goes downhill for me.
Okay, so as someone who LOVED Wandavision, I hate with how they treat Wanda in this movie. It's not Wanda it's the Scarlet Witch. Now on second viewing, the Scarlet Witch is horrifying as a villain, I just don't like how they got her to that point. It undos all of the character development of Wanda in her show. And then they flip the switch on her again at the end of the movie. The writer even said he didn't watch Wandavision, and it really shows.
Elizabeth Olsen crushes it in this role, she's such an amazingly fantastic actress that can do it all.
This movie also continues the terrible love story that was barely in the first Doctor Strange movie, with Stephen and Christine (Rachel McAdams). Poor Rachel has been completely wasted in these movies, she and Benedict have zero chemistry and this movie really tries to push that Stephen and Christine are lovers that are never meant to be, and it just does not work. Strange's character arc is mentioned, throughout the movie, but nothing ever done to further it, until the very end.
Firstly, there weren't enough cameos throughout the movie. But the Illuminati scene was terrible. I was actually really surprised to see the return of Blackbolt played by Anson Mount from the Inhumans tv show, and it was kinda cool to see his power in action. I know everyone wanted Joh Krisinsky as Reed Richards, but I thought he was terrible in this role. I just didn't like his line delivery. I do not want him as Reed going forward. I was so excited to see Captain Carter (I love Hayley Atwell in this role) but she wasn't as cool as she was in the What If animated show. The worse part is they did nothing against Wanda, they are died comically like chumps. It's terrible, they don't try to fight her as a team. I just hate it. Professor X was fine, I don't love the X-Men characters. I did like Lashana Lynch returning but her character was not as good as in Captain Marvel. Even the fight between Strange and Mordo kind of lacks because it's not the Mordo from the first movie, there's no emotional investment. /SPOILER]
I think my biggest problem is this movie is boring. There's not enough fun to be had in the multiverse, not enough multiverses, and the stakes and consequences just have no weight or emotional investment attached. It just feels like things happen to happen. I will say I still love the character Wong. Overall I am just super disappointed in this movie. It won't be one I rewatch a lot.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
The Batman (2022) - better than expected, but nowhere near as good as some have hyped
After the 1st early trailer (back in 2020) made it look like it was something out of CW land.
I was pretty doubtful of this being any good at all. Half wonder if they reshot/edited some of it.
Was still kind of broody & overlong, though.

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
I enjoyed it, it was a bit too long, loved Selina Kyle and I liked the Detective element, hopefully they can build off of this movie and give us a better Batman film next outing.
Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Its interesting you think they may have reshot or edited it. I never thought it felt messy or with odd pacing. Seemed to flow well as a film.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
@Mr Trick - nothing to do with pacing. Just saying it seemed WAY different than the CW-esque first trailer which was out like 2 years ago!

Mr Trick

Scooby
@Mr Trick - nothing to do with pacing. Just saying it seemed WAY different than the CW-esque first trailer which was out like 2 years ago!

Oh this was never going to be that sort of movie not with Matt Reeves directing. I don't remember that trailer, so it could have just been a bad trailer which mis-reprsented the film.

Black Thorn
Scooby Doo Stage Fright- 6/7 out of 10.

Fun little Scooby Doo Movie. Scooby Doo's take on Phantom of the Opera. It was entertaining and cute but the villian was kind of predictable and there was more than one and it got hard to keep track of at the end.

Top Bottom