• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Scoobies behaving badly

Nearwild

Townie
As much as I love all the Scooby gang, at some point they have all done horrible things. From trying to end the world, to carelessly releasing demons, what do you think are the worst behaviours we see from Buffy's friends?

For me, Xander turning against Buffy in Empty Places really stings, as just days before he gives such a great speech about how much he believes in her. Makes it seem like that faith is only on condition she personally keeps him safe. Surely he knows the risks by now?

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Xander's harangue against Buffy in Dead Man's Party made him irredeemably obnoxious.
Willow casting a spell so that Oz would never find love again after his alliance with Veruca was pure evil.
Xander recommending Buffy chase after Riley in Into the Woods shows his continued lack of awareness of events going on around him.
The scoobies inability to distinguish the Buffybot from Buffy shows a lack of awareness on their part.
Xander's jealousy made him unpleasant to have around.
Xander commissioning Amy to do a love spell in Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered didn't do anyone any favours.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I tend to be understanding of characters even when they do something despicable. Which includes Buffy, by the way, she doesn't get a pass simply because she's the protagonist.

(And I'm not including season 7, which I consider the season of character assassinations though I can see why some would see s6 for that, and is the only season in which I actually dislike Buffy as a character and--having no awareness that it's a TV show with vanadium steel plot armor for Buffy with mind boggling arbitrary writing that turned me off the series so that it was years before I gave Angel a try--would've been on the mutiny against her as well. But not to the point of kicking her out of her own home, though that's far from the dumbest thing of this season's writing, and by the way, Buffy was a jerk kicking someone else out of his home right after despite all the abandoned homes available, but we're apparently supposed to laugh it off.)

My immediate impression for Xander is a tie between Xander going after Spike with an ax and her giving Buffy the speech to chase Riley...I'd say the latter, but at a gut level the latter really does feel more like a Xander Puppet for the writers than Xander the character for me. At least I can understand Xander going homicidal (which I don't consider his normal state of mind, nor does it condone what he did, and this is also one of the rare times I'll defend Spike's actions which is ironic given many who will excuse Spike about anything condemn him here) whereas the latter is something he had no business in. (I'd say summoning Sweet, but I just can't buy he did that, just as I can't buy Spike was really the so-called Doctor.)

Willow was far more egregious, particularly with mind control spells. Can't forget Tara trying something similar once to hide her demon self, though I do sympathize with Tara doing it (as I do so many of the others as they screw up), but it's real close to doing what Willow did, and as reckless (I wish Tara brought this up when she started getting preachy about Willow being reckless with magic).

Naturally, Xander's attempted revenge against Cordelia also counts here, but he also tried to undo the damage once he realized how wrong it had went, and I'd still say less than what Willow did casually, and for convenience, later on, and he did suffer for having done so in more ways than one despite some saying otherwise despite the examples pointed out repeatedly (the only reason I'm not counting Cordelia making her wish is because she didn't know what she was doing, though she wasn't displeased at first, just as Xander wasn't).

There was When She Was Bad for Buffy, and Dead Man Party for the Scoobies.

But Giles worse is when that birthday ritual he put Buffy through, even if he did a full reverse before the end. (Personally, and taking the character's established personality traits and roles into account, I think I could if I were Buffy I could forgive him, though I understand why others would say they would not in her place, but Joyce...Giles must truly be a stevedore for Joyce to brush off what happened to her and Buffy both!)

Though understandable to me...Giles sums up my sentiments perfectly...Buffy hiding Angel was something she really shouldn't have done. Many focus on Xander's behavior, but Buffy doesn't get a pass from me. Even Cordy had a point against her.

And gods, Buffy vs Cordy over that high school competition. They were horrible to each other. But that just makes it all the better when they find themselves in a life and death situation and instead of turning on (or at least abandoning) the other, they save each other, which shows just how noble both of them are despite being shallow at times (including one of my favorite Cordelia moments in saving Buffy from Gorch by pretending to be Faith).

Okay, I've made up my mind (at least for now)...it was Anya trying to trick Xander's friends into wishing horrible things on Xander. That was not only vile in of itself, but would've been devastating to the one who made the wish. (And not to absolve Xander completely, but I found it near impossible to sympathize with Anya that after a thousand years of vicious vengeance that she still bragged about that she got a small taste of her own medicine from a former victim of hers.)

Xander turning against Buffy in Empty Places really stings, as just days before he gives such a great speech about how much he believes in her. Makes it seem like that faith is only on condition she personally keeps him safe. Surely he knows the risks by now?
I'm surprised you'd choose Xander in this scene. All he said was he didn't see her point while all the others (including Anya, Giles, and Dawn) were far more harsh. And Xander has the excuse for being demoralized and having his faith shaken over account of having just lost his eye (unlike Willow who also expressed doubts in Buffy's judgment).

garfan

Townie
considering the fact his eye was gouged out the phrasing was a personal slap in the face

thrasherpix

Scooby
considering the fact his eye was gouged out the phrasing was a personal slap in the face
Only if Buffy was a shallow as Cordelia in Out of Mind, Out of Sight. And even in season 7 I don't see Buffy as that bad.

Nearwild

Townie
I tend to be understanding of characters even when they do something despicable. Which includes Buffy, by the way, she doesn't get a pass simply because she's the protagonist.

(And I'm not including season 7, which I consider the season of character assassinations though I can see why some would see s6 for that, and is the only season in which I actually dislike Buffy as a character and--having no awareness that it's a TV show with vanadium steel plot armor for Buffy with mind boggling arbitrary writing that turned me off the series so that it was years before I gave Angel a try--would've been on the mutiny against her as well. But not to the point of kicking her out of her own home, though that's far from the dumbest thing of this season's writing, and by the way, Buffy was a jerk kicking someone else out of his home right after despite all the abandoned homes available, but we're apparently supposed to laugh it off.)

My immediate impression for Xander is a tie between Xander going after Spike with an ax and her giving Buffy the speech to chase Riley...I'd say the latter, but at a gut level the latter really does feel more like a Xander Puppet for the writers than Xander the character for me. At least I can understand Xander going homicidal (which I don't consider his normal state of mind, nor does it condone what he did, and this is also one of the rare times I'll defend Spike's actions which is ironic given many who will excuse Spike about anything condemn him here) whereas the latter is something he had no business in. (I'd say summoning Sweet, but I just can't buy he did that, just as I can't buy Spike was really the so-called Doctor.)

Willow was far more egregious, particularly with mind control spells. Can't forget Tara trying something similar once to hide her demon self, though I do sympathize with Tara doing it (as I do so many of the others as they screw up), but it's real close to doing what Willow did, and as reckless (I wish Tara brought this up when she started getting preachy about Willow being reckless with magic).

Naturally, Xander's attempted revenge against Cordelia also counts here, but he also tried to undo the damage once he realized how wrong it had went, and I'd still say less than what Willow did casually, and for convenience, later on, and he did suffer for having done so in more ways than one despite some saying otherwise despite the examples pointed out repeatedly (the only reason I'm not counting Cordelia making her wish is because she didn't know what she was doing, though she wasn't displeased at first, just as Xander wasn't).

There was When She Was Bad for Buffy, and Dead Man Party for the Scoobies.

But Giles worse is when that birthday ritual he put Buffy through, even if he did a full reverse before the end. (Personally, and taking the character's established personality traits and roles into account, I think I could if I were Buffy I could forgive him, though I understand why others would say they would not in her place, but Joyce...Giles must truly be a stevedore for Joyce to brush off what happened to her and Buffy both!)

Though understandable to me...Giles sums up my sentiments perfectly...Buffy hiding Angel was something she really shouldn't have done. Many focus on Xander's behavior, but Buffy doesn't get a pass from me. Even Cordy had a point against her.

And gods, Buffy vs Cordy over that high school competition. They were horrible to each other. But that just makes it all the better when they find themselves in a life and death situation and instead of turning on (or at least abandoning) the other, they save each other, which shows just how noble both of them are despite being shallow at times (including one of my favorite Cordelia moments in saving Buffy from Gorch by pretending to be Faith).

Okay, I've made up my mind (at least for now)...it was Anya trying to trick Xander's friends into wishing horrible things on Xander. That was not only vile in of itself, but would've been devastating to the one who made the wish. (And not to absolve Xander completely, but I found it near impossible to sympathize with Anya that after a thousand years of vicious vengeance that she still bragged about that she got a small taste of her own medicine from a former victim of hers.)

I'd forgotten about loads of these- they're even worse than I thought! 🤣 That Anya one in particular is really awful thinking about it- so much more so than sleeping with Spike (which I don't consider technically wrong in any way.)

I'm surprised you'd choose Xander in this scene. All he said was he didn't see her point while all the others (including Anya, Giles, and Dawn) were far more harsh. And Xander has the excuse for being demoralized and having his faith shaken over account of having just lost his eye (unlike Willow who also expressed doubts in Buffy's judgment).
It's a serious injury, but it feels like 'I only believe in you when you're winning. Fail and you're on your own,' especially when juxtaposed with his previous speech about how great she is and how they should all believe in her. It's brutal, public U turn.

Xander's harangue against Buffy in Dead Man's Party made him irredeemably obnoxious.
Willow casting a spell so that Oz would never find love again after his alliance with Veruca was pure evil.
Xander recommending Buffy chase after Riley in Into the Woods shows his continued lack of awareness of events going on around him.
The scoobies inability to distinguish the Buffybot from Buffy shows a lack of awareness on their part.
Xander's jealousy made him unpleasant to have around.
Xander commissioning Amy to do a love spell in Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered didn't do anyone any favours.
And Xander's lie about the resouling spell. And cheating on Cordelia. When's he's being awful, he really is the worst.

Faded90

Scooby
S6 - I think there is absolutely zero excuse for the way they don’t even bother remotely trying to support Buffy in her depression and struggles. Like normally they can hide behind ‘you didn’t talk to us Buffy!’ But actually this time she did, multiple times. There were shockingly bad friends to her this season. I’m also including Giles and his privilege - being depressed and suffering from PTSD is NOT the time to do a ‘you need to level up’ lesson, it’s the time to support. Plus his patronising ‘your Mother was able to deal with this stuff with only 20 years more life experience and a college graduate level job. What’s the difference in you doing it with zero qualifications and a full time unpaid job?’ Schtick. I don’t think he understood the real working class struggle here. His emotional neglect leads to a second slayer under his charge becoming suicidal. I love you Giles but this is your worst act for me. Also Willow and Tara for basically being all ‘yeah here’s the unpaid bills. Sort it out we’re not going to do anything to help’

Buffy tells them multiple times she’s depressed and has been suicidal. They even acknowledge this, we get a scene of them discussing it and what do they do? Nothing, not a single thing. They DO absolve themselves of their own guilt though. They manage to do that, but Buffy herself? Nah, she’ll be fine right? Right?

I feel bad mentioning Dawn because she’s a teen BUT she does actually use Buffy’s depression as a weapon against her at multiple points and makes Buffy feel even more guilty about it. This isn’t teen behaviour. It’s actually shockingly callous

Xander even has the gall in Seeing Red to say ‘you could have told me’. She did, multiple times. As Buffy said ‘you didn’t want to know’ and he didn’t. None of them did, they just wanted to pretend it wasn’t happening because then they’d have to acknowledge that they’re partially responsible for her state of mind.

whatdBuffyDo
whatdBuffyDo
The tea ☕
N
Nearwild
True facts here. She almost goes on fire right in front of them, and they just stand there feeling sorry for themselves.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
there is absolutely zero excuse for the way they don’t even bother remotely trying to support Buffy in her depression and struggles.
Sure there is. They didn't really care about her. They just wanted the slayer back to clean up the town so they didn't have to and could go about their lives. Buffy was an afterthought.

WillowsFaith

Townie
Willow being a Mastered, All powerful witch but keeping Amy as a Rat for Years😂that’s just cruel.

But on a more serious note. She has a control issue, and not just her addiction. The Forget spell she puts on Tara being one example. Cheating with Xander was also a low point. Like young Willow would never cheat, let alone on Oz?! Wtf were the writers doing.
Xander has too many to list.
Giles in S6 and S7 loses points for abandoning Buffy in her most depressive and traumatic moments.
Buffy is the hero and thus bad things happen to her. She doesn’t do too much bad things, except date old serial killers🤷‍♀️I guess

Dora

Scooby
For me it has to be Giles, what with all this buggering back to the UK when Buffy needed him most left her knowing she was screwed up mentally big time, left her knowing she had money problems, left her alone with a young sister , strange sort of fathers love .In season 5 had he not threaten Spike to leave Buffy alone, when he came back he laughs in her face about about her screwed up sex with him, season 7 he is uppity because Buffy relies on Spike and not on him as much
Next the scoobies totally ignoring Buffy and the way she is feeling , putting there own selfish self's first, Spike was perfectly wright when he said I am the only one here for you , as for chucking Buffy out
Next is Dawn what a bitch .....enough said

thrasherpix

Scooby
I also disliked how they portrayed Giles in early season 6.

One, it doesn't strike me as true of his character as shown up to that point.

Two, it makes no sense given how Buffy was the one to get him his job back and face down the Council when he couldn't while also dealing with funerals, a distraught teen, and hell goddesses, so saying she needs to grow up is BS to me anyway as she proved herself far more capable, determined, and adult in season 5 than a great many adults in the real world...even before taking into account the extreme trauma she'd endured and was recovering from (which Giles in earlier seasons would've recognized as such) along with seeing a real problem forming around Willow in season 6.

Cutting Buffy off right then is, to me, like taking someone with fractured bones in the middle of the lake and telling her chin up, swim to shore, can't be coddling her. Fine when she's healthy and trying to push herself to become better, but not when she was in pieces.

I'd be able to overlook it easier had the writers arranged for some emergency for Giles so that he had to leave, having faith in Buffy and the rest given what they've overcome (he's proud of them, not thinking they need to grow up), though still worried about her and Willow both. In this case he could call in but would be delayed, and very sorry to miss the wedding, but asking over the phone how things are Buffy (along with Willow and Xander) tell him it's fine (because they're defensive, ashamed, and also not wanting to add to his burdens).

He could finally learn the truth, maybe Anya even shows up to try to get him to wish something horrible on Xander, and he rushes back (preparing himself first, perhaps some occult items hard to get through customs slowing him down just a bit), so that it can continue as it does at the end of the season.

Last edited:

Faded90

Scooby
I do think that too much coddling is counterproductive that harms more than heals or helps. Doesn't mean I think there's no place for compassion, empathy, and help (especially with close friends, particularly those thought of as honorary family), and I don't regret my volunteer work helping strangers, but extreme coddling is as bad in my book as extreme individualism.

I say that because people often get the wrong idea when I say I really disliked how they portrayed Giles in early season 6.

Two, it makes no sense given how Buffy was the one to get him his job back and face down the Council when he couldn't while also dealing with funerals, a distrought teen, and hell goddesses, so saying she needs to grow up is BS to me anyway as she proved herself far more capable, determined, and adult in season 5 than a great many adults in the real world...even before taking into account the extreme trauma she'd endured (which Giles in earlier seasons would've recognized as such) along with seeing a real problem forming around Willow in season 6.

Cutting Buffy off right then is, to me, like taking someone with fractured bones in the middle of the lake and telling her chin up, swim to shore, can't be coddling her.

I'd be able to overlook it easier had the writers arranged for some emergency for Giles so that he had to leave, having faith in Buffy and the rest given what they've overcome (he's proud of them, not thinking they need to grow up), though still worried about her and Willow both. In this case he could call in but would be delayed, and very sorry to miss the wedding, but asking over the phone how things are Buffy (along with Willow and Xander) tell him it's fine (because they're defensive, ashamed, and also not wanting to add to his burdens).

He could finally learn the truth, maybe Anya even shows up to try to get him to wish something horrible on Xander, and he rushes back (preparing himself first, perhaps some occult items hard to get through customs slowing him down just a bit, so that it can continue as it does at the end of the season).
I think where they really overdid the ridiculous pills in the writing department with regards to Giles in S6 is his line in Life Serial ‘we’ve just been discussing what you’re going to do with your life?’ Like I’m sorry WHAT?! Let’s not pretend the girls a loafer here. It’s pretending the main theme of the show simply doesn’t exist. Buffys whole deal is that she wants to be able to do normal things but she can’t because she has a calling. It’s consistently said that Buffy can’t do these things - most often by Giles himself. She can’t decide when or where the forces of darkness are going to appear and need her to jump into action, She can’t decide which college she goes to, she can’t even do career day at school because of her slayerness - Giles even acknowledges in this scene that Buffy already has a job and that it’s kind of irrelevant what job she may have had. Giles is very much aware that Buffy is already ‘doing something with her life’ it’s her destiny, her life has already been decided for her. She has a full time with major overtime unpaid job. I genuinely think that line from Giles is the most ridiculous in the entire show. Normal Giles knows full well that Buffy can’t hold down a regular job on fixed hours. Giles of all people knows this! I mean crikey being a slayer even inserted a brand new person into her family tree for her protection

Like I know they were going for a ‘real life sucks’ thing but let’s not completely ignore the entire premise of the show here

Priceless

Scooby
I genuinely think that line from Giles is the most ridiculous in the entire show. Normal Giles knows full well that Buffy can’t hold down a regular job on fixed hours. Giles of all people knows this! I mean crikey being a slayer even inserted a brand new person into her family tree for her protection

Like I know they were going for a ‘real life sucks’ thing but let’s not completely ignore the entire premise of the show here
I don't understand what you mean when you say Giles knows Buffy can't hold down a job with fixed hours, when she went to school for 3 years and then to college for a year, all on fixed hours. Anyone who can turn up to school every day, can do a job.

Faded90

Scooby
I don't understand what you mean when you say Giles knows Buffy can't hold down a job with fixed hours, when she went to school for 3 years and then to college for a year, all on fixed hours. Anyone who can turn up to school every day, can do a job.
And we see multiple times Buffy having to skip school, her teachers don’t even know her name. In College we don’t hear a lot about about her attendance but Walsh talks about her being there ‘most of the time’ and then in S5 we see she’s having to take a class she doesn’t want to do but nothing fits in around her slaying. You can work around it in school and just be labelled a problem student (which Buffy is) but in a job you’d simply be fired. We see her even in Doublemeat Palace her having to run out of work, the only reason she gets to stay is because their previous employees have went missing so they’re just trying to keep hold of people. We see again in S7 when she actually does have a good job she’s still having to keep calling in sick, falling asleep through exhaustion at her desk etc and she only keeps that job because Robin wants to get to know the slayer and then when he has his grudge in a grip he fires her

Priceless

Scooby
And we see multiple times Buffy having to skip school, her teachers don’t even know her name. In College we don’t hear a lot about about her attendance but Walsh talks about her being there ‘most of the time’ and then in S5 we see she’s having to take a class she doesn’t want to do but nothing fits in around her slaying. You can work around it in school and just be labelled a problem student (which Buffy is) but in a job you’d simply be fired. We see her even in Doublemeat Palace her having to run out of work, the only reason she gets to stay is because their previous employees have went missing so they’re just trying to keep hold of people. We see again in S7 when she actually does have a good job she’s still having to keep calling in sick, falling asleep through exhaustion at her desk etc and she only keeps that job because Robin wants to get to know the slayer and then when he has his grudge in a grip he fires her
All really good points and I see what you mean. But Buffy cannot simply be the slayer, or there'd be no Buffy and I think Giles realises that. I think it's possible for her to find a job that suits her lifestyle, which isn't fighting or doesn't involve fighting. So no teaching judo or being a door-woman or policewoman etc. the usual stuff people come up with. She needs a job that isn't about 'slaying', that is for the Buffy part of her. If she made it through school she can find a job that would suit her, or be self employed.

Dora

Scooby
I also disliked how they portrayed Giles in early season 6.

Two, it makes no sense given how Buffy was the one to get him his job back and face down the Council when he couldn't while also dealing with funerals, a distraught teen, and hell goddesses, so saying she needs to grow up is BS to me anyway as she proved herself far more capable, determined, and adult in season 5 than a great many adults in the real world...even before taking into account the extreme trauma she'd endured and was recovering from (which Giles in earlier seasons would've recognized as such) along with seeing a real problem forming around Willow in season 6.

Cutting Buffy off right then is, to me, like taking someone with fractured bones in the middle of the lake and telling her chin up, swim to shore, can't be coddling her. Fine when she's healthy and trying to push herself to become better, but not when she was in pieces.

He could finally learn the truth, maybe Anya even shows up to try to get him to wish something horrible on Xander, and he rushes back (preparing himself first, perhaps some occult items hard to get through customs slowing him down just a bit), so that it can continue as it does at the end of the season.
Joss Wheldon and co were trying to push Spike to the fore ,that could have not happened if Buffy and Giles had parted on good terms i.e. Giles goes' back to England to visit his sick mother , they would then have kept in touch by phone etc , it had to be complete , hence the destruction of Tony Heads character , doing thing we know Giles just would not do

Last edited:

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I'll take it season by season; probably easier that way:

S1: Oh, they're all so wonderful! It's true that Xander tries multiple times to get out of the friend zone but he's usually depicted as pathetic in that regard. At a stretch I would say Xander's response to Buffy's (quite nice) rejection of his advances in 'Prophecy Girl'; he's really kind of a jerk (although he makes up for it later). But even their jerkiest behavior pales next to their sheer excitement about being Buffy's friends and helping out! Yay, they're so supportive and they win Buffy (and Giles) over so quickly. It's adorable.

S2: Giles is awesome with his care of Buffy this season. There is that low point of 'The Dark Age' where he is drunk and evasive when people are dying...but he tries to keep 'his fight' private and away from those he cares about. He's also very supportive when Angel does a heel turn and whilst Buffy might blame herself for Jenny Calendar's death Giles does not. Willow is sweet and supportive although insensitive a couple of times Phases maybe?) but otherwise she acts as a stalwart second-in-command if Buffy or Giles are unavailable.
So, Xander again? Somewhat more mean and petty in his jealousy (in S1 its fairly hapless) which turns nastier by the end of the season when he does blame Buffy for Miss Calendar's death. And then on top there's 'the lie' which, whilst I may understand it in context, I feel contributed to Buffy leaving Sunnydale at the end of the season. He lied to Buffy about Willow, he put his needs above hers. Bad Xander.

S3: No contest I feel. Look, I know Willow accidentally summoned a vampire version of herself and Xander said mean things to Buffy a couple of times but Giles secretly drugged Buffy and pointed her towards a deadly vampire lair. It's about intent to do harm. I'll add to this his spectacular dereliction of duty regarding Faith, mounding away in a crappy motel. Giles being the...third worst Watcher of this season is a real testament to how much the other two sucked. And I like Giles.

S4: Another tough one. I really think the group tries hard to help here even though the whole theme of the season is 'scooby drift'. Giles is a bit aloof, then a lot pathetic, Willow is grumpy on Halloween but her heartbreak later is way more understandable than Buffy's (if a jerk rejects you then he's just being a jerk who doesn't see how awesome you are, jerks are like that). Xander doesn't....do much. He gives a lovely 'you're my hero' bit in the first ep but then...well, he tries a lot. Could I say that 'bringing Anya into the group' is like, toxic behavior? Well no. Although 'The Yoko Factor' is a 'everyone turns on Buffy' moment its mostly an everyone also turns on each other moment which softens everything. Buffy might've been oblivious but she's not the target. So I don't really see it as 'bad friend' stuff.
Oh Something Blue! Willow's not only obnoxious this episode but her actions are foreshadowing of much magic jackassery. Willow it is.

S5: Giles gets another 'most awesome scoobie' award so he's obviously not in the running; he's Watcher and father figure and huggable sweater-clad guardian and occasionally ripper-like. Yes, he says that Dawn should die but only like because...end of world. He even admits that its a monstrous thing to consider and yet, he must.
Xander has the 'follow Riley' moment...but, hate to break it everyone, giving advice is not crappy-friend behavior. Not caring is crappy friend behavior (see next season), Xander's intent here-ill-meaning as one might find it- is actually trying to be a good friend. Good friends call people on their crap at inopportune moments. And y'know later puffy!Xander's all 'you're awesome Buffy you'll find somebody who appreciates you for simply you'. People tend to forget that last part.
So, is it Willow again? I suppose it is because rampaging troll. Careless magicks mean that people get hurt, shops get wrecked and Buffy cries....adjacent to all this I guess. Okay, so Willow is bad by default...but she goes into Buffy's mind and hurts Glory and wants Giles to stay and....well, too late I guess.

S6: From the 'I can't really decide' to the 'who's first' season. Everyone is kind of awful, even Dawn (is she a scoobie?). Giles leaves, the scoobies bring Buffy back but although they brought some fabulous rare urn they forgot shovels so Buffy has to y'know, not be buried alive anymore. Yeesh. Willow would like to be thanked now and Giles comes back to make sure that Buffy is just....the worst she can be and then leaves again. Xander ignores what he can't just repress, Willow is an...addict I guess and is playing with memories, Amy is...and then Tara goes. Okay just stop, stop with the people being awful or doing dumb out-of-character things.
Okay, Giles, Willow and Anya are the worst. Giles for abandoning Buffy, Anya for trying to get everyone to wish death on Xander (probably the worst thing a souled character has done on hte show, maybe either show) and Willow for trying to kill many, many people whilst high on mojo.
Still, at least none of them tried to rape her, that's something.

S7: The season in which the scoobies have 'most cause' to be bad because Buffy is awful a lot of the time. The one thing people point to most is 'Empty Places' with which I'll agree. All of Buffy's awfulness has brought us here and her friends kinda respond to it the worst way possible. Yes, they do the good 'stop, you crazy' thing that friends should do but the escalation up to that point....
So Buffy is not going to listen to Giles at this stage, Dawn has been ignored for about 10 episodes at this point, Xander has been maimed...To be honest I expect more of Willow. Willow- who Buffy welcomed back with nary a whisper of 'y'know you were kind of evil and messed up'- does not step in and empathize with her best friend's situation (despite having a peak into her mind and knowing the pressures Buffy puts on herself) or calm everything down or drag the 'inner circle' into a back room and do some kind of...'mellow-ness' spell? That should be a thing. Like weed but magically done.
Anyway Willow is so...timid here. But the right mix of timid, judgmental and passive-aggressive that she's been perfecting for years. She should've been helping chill things out but instead she's so feeble. And she should've run out onto the porch after Buffy, the fact that Faith is the only one is to her credit and everyone else's shame.

Overall I think the scoobies do alright; on the whole they all have more good than bad moments. Except Anya; I think her 'Empty Places' speech cements it for me; she was a scoobie but she never really was a 'good friend' to Buffy, in fact she was kinda crappy mostly. Especially 'Entrophy'. Buffy could've done fine without her.

Top Bottom