• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Spike still damned?

Cyberdemon

Townie
Im on angel s5 ep 4 right now and it's crazy to think that he's still damned after getting a soul and saving the world? is this just more lore damage that angel is infamous for?

thrasherpix

Scooby
He's not damned. Rather, a spirit was saving himself by sacrificing others. It did help if they didn't believe in themselves as then they couldn't muster the will to fight back, and probably made it easier to send them to Hell.

That said, the Higher Powers tick me off about as much as the Lower. They're more about Order vs Chaos (as opposed to Good vs Evil) similar to this Babylon 5 clip, where BOTH of them suck:

thrasherpix

Scooby
Let's remember that even an inexperienced teen witch recovering from head trauma in the hospital can still snatch souls from the ether. To me that implies the Higher Powers have little control (or at least don't care enough to control) the fate of souls.

Priceless

Scooby
I probably have a very romantic view of redemptions but I think it's a life long process with no guarantee of success. You have to renew your commitment to it every day and fully understand there may be nothing for you at the end. You may never be redeemed, never enter heaven, never be forgiven. Redemption is an act, not a feeling. It's paying for the bad you've done previously, in the full knowledge that you can never fully repay, but be willing to accept that and still want to do it.

Helping to save the world is a great first step, but it doesn't make up for a hundred plus years of horror you've inflicted on your victims. So I fully believe both Angel and Spike are damned. I don't know how they could be any other.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
I like it!

AstridDante

Potential
I don’t think either Spike or Angel are damned as it would be their souls that would be damned so to speak. In Angel Season 5, I can’t remember the episode but Spike said that both he and Angel were victims at one point which is true. So this is why Buffy treats the souled and soulless entities different. As souled human Spike (William) had been a good man. Angel as a souled human appeared to be a bit of a lout but not a bad person per se and since they have had their souls returned both have fought the good fight. So in that respect I don’t think either of their souls are damned for their soulless acts

Last edited:

Stake fodder

Soulless
I don’t think either Spike or Angel are damned as it would be their souls that would be damned so to speak. In Angel Season 5, I can’t remember the episode but Spike said that both he and Angel were victims at one point which is true. So this is why Buffy treats the souled and soulless entities different. As souled human Spike (William) had been a good man. Angel as a souled human appeared to be a bit of a lout but not a bad person per se and since they have had their souls returned both have fought the good fight. So in that respect I don’t think either of their souls are damned for their soulless acts
I have wondered if the 'damnation' is due to the demon still being present in them. If Angel or Spike were really to die, presumably his soul and the demon would be separated, and possibly have different after-lives. In Spike's case in "Hell Bound", he's not really dying, but being sent to (a) hell (dimension) by Pavayne, so not being divided into parts.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
If Spike is damned then it makes his already iffy decision to get a soul (so Buffy would find him "acceptable") even worse. When a person is sired and their soul goes wherever it goes, that soul is not responsible for the actions of that vampire. Therefore if Harmony was to be dusted, her soul would suffer no consequences. However since Angel and Spike have their souls as vampires, that soul now bears responsibility for the vampire's actions as it is now joined so I think if they were to be dusted, their souls would go to hell for all the things they did whilst soulless.

It really adds to the reason why the gypsies gave Angelus a soul. They didn't want him to be a better man (which is often the reason used for Spike getting a soul), they wanted him to suffer eternally. Either the soul tortures him for so long as he lives, or he gets dusted and his soul is sent to hell to suffer there.

T
thrasherpix
This actually seems to be in line with what Pavayne (the one who tried to send Spike to Hell in Hell Bound) says, perhaps the only expert arrogant enough to tell the truth and without a reason to lie.
AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
that's a good explanation

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
However since Angel and Spike have their souls as vampires, that soul now bears responsibility for the vampire's actions
Only the action going forward after being souled, not for the actions of the unsouled vampire.

if they were to be dusted, their souls would go to hell for all the things they did whilst soulless.
If anything their souls would be rewarded for thwarting any deaths that the soulless vampires would have caused.

Dora

Scooby
In season 1 Buffy says , its not you its the thing that killed you , Yes killed , if demons have souls which I doubt , they would have to be dead for their sole to leave the body , Now Angelus was given his soul as a punishment by the Gipsies , and Spike was tricked into being given his soul by a demon , Now in Spikes case everyone says its Williams soul Spike was given, Why ?, lets get this into perspective , poor old Williams soul is forced back into his old body , now occupied by the demon that killed him, what would that do to anyone, the demon then goes on a killing spree which William soul has to watch close up, there is a good chance that Williams soul would have escape when the body was destroyed by fire , but there is a chance Spike demon soul move onto season 5 of angel

Priceless

Scooby
I thought damnation was about your soul. It was your soul that was damned, because without that all you are is a body and once that's dust, there can be no more. There is nothing left to be redeemed.

Nearwild

Townie
If you consider giving your life for others a sacrifice, then Spike has an automatic pass from hell. But then there could also be a element of 'you get what you think you deserve', and he clearly still thinks he deserves hell in that episode. Personally I don't think their souls were responsible for the vampire acts, but they do, so that guilt will have an effect. I do feel that they both show enough genuine contrition for everything though, so don't think they'd be automatically damned.

thrasherpix

Scooby
From what I see I don't think anyone is control. It's a bunch of factions, and even a teen with some mojo can become a player.

The only ones shown definitively to have some power over the afterlife of someone is Wolfram & Hart (and presumably the one Gunn sold his soul to for his truck, and I think Anya turned at least one into a demon against his will which probably counts), and even they have to get you to agree before they can do it. (And apparently it must be of their own free will and knowledge, otherwise they could have people sign contracts with invisible ink fine print, or with memory spells, etc. Even vampires don't have to be so honest in getting an invite.)

Cyberdemon

Townie
Sorta like sobriety. Which is what it was supposedly based on, at least initially.
very true. once an addict, always an addict.
Wow never looked at it that way.
If Spike is damned then it makes his already iffy decision to get a soul (so Buffy would find him "acceptable") even worse. When a person is sired and their soul goes wherever it goes, that soul is not responsible for the actions of that vampire. Therefore if Harmony was to be dusted, her soul would suffer no consequences. However since Angel and Spike have their souls as vampires, that soul now bears responsibility for the vampire's actions as it is now joined so I think if they were to be dusted, their souls would go to hell for all the things they did whilst soulless.
Thats really interesting. it's almost like spike damned himself. WTF!

Top Bottom