• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Ukraine situation (non politics)

Cohen

Hellhound
Its a matter of pride and power for him. I truly think he'd use nukes if pushed too far. I mean, I would!
He's a manchild allowed for too long to run and corrupt an entire country's government. I think he would too. I don't think he would do it on a first world nation that would retaliate with a nuke. But I can see him nuking a former Soviet State to gain control. Evil.

Fire pretty. 🔥
Um.. no Fire bad. 🚫🔥 Tree Pretty. 🌳 We've gone over this, Slippers.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Bunnies frighten me
Black Thorn
He's a manchild allowed for too long to run and corrupt an entire country's government. I think he would too. I don't think he would do it on a first world nation that would retaliate with a nuke. But I can see him nuking a former Soviet State to gain control. Evil.

Um.. no Fire bad. 🚫🔥 Tree Pretty. 🌳 We've gone over this, Slippers.
No, he's not stupid enough to nuke someone like the US. He knows what would happen. We know that he knows. And he knows that we know he knows. 😅

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
I disagree Cohen, Putin has no need to use a nuke, he has the whole world running scared of him at present so why would he waste a nuke on them? Just look at how many countries have sent troops against Putin's army?
Hopefully he only wants the country of Ukraine cos he obviously does not want its people.

Cohen

Hellhound
I disagree Cohen, Putin has no need to use a nuke, he has the whole world running scared of him at present so why would he waste a nuke on them? Just look at how many countries have sent troops against Putin's army?
Hopefully he only wants the country of Ukraine cos he obviously does not want its people.
The lack of support for Ukraine is alarming, troops-wise. But the economic sanctions has Putin panicking. His country can’t sustain itself alone.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
What economic sanctions,
not allowing the SWIFT banking transfer scheme is a silly idea, seemingly designed by banks so they could use the money for longer. My brother has sent some money from his bank to my bank by SWIFT, it will take a month to get to me.
If all the sanctions by countries go to Russia by SWIFT from banks, I bet that Russia hasn't noticed the sanctions yet. Plus, when was the last time Russia was a country that worked properly. When it was a proper Communist country 1917 to 1920?

Plasma

Not Lurking, Standing About. Whole different vibe.
Staff member
You can’t send troops in to fight against Russia without basically declaring war against one of the biggest nuclear powers on the planet. The whole situation is a powder keg. Putin is well aware and is making it so nobody will call his bluff on causing a nuclear apocalypse.

The sanctions and everything else are hurting Russia, sure, but Putin also knowingly completely tanked the Russian economy with this conflict. He’ll keep going until they literally cannot go anymore. The suffering of the Russian people is a complete non-factor to him.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Well, lets see .. .. Russia invading Ukraine, now that is as far as I'm concerned a declaration of war!

But rumour has it the invasion will stop soon, 'cos Russia can't feed its troops and its tanks will run out of fuel.
I saw a clip on the news of a Ukrainian farmer who hitched a Russian tank to his tractor. and nicked it. There was vision of a guy chasing the tractor.

Stake fodder

What about my me?
Time to revive this thread, as Putin's master plan has backfired on him. One of the main reasons he invaded Ukraine was to prevent the expansion of NATO. Now Sweden and Finland, long-time neutral countries, are both planning to apply.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
You got to be sorry for Putin though, all these threats about what he'll do if, if if.
At the current rate the Ukrainian army will be spearheading the invasion of Russia soon, they wiped out a battalion of Russian troops with a little help from a river.

Oh, about my first eights words, that was a tee hee moment.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Time to revive this thread, as Putin's master plan has backfired on him. One of the main reasons he invaded Ukraine was to prevent the expansion of NATO. Now Sweden and Finland, long-time neutral countries, are both planning to apply.

But now he can say Russia is threatened and use that to justify his military action.

Plasma

Not Lurking, Standing About. Whole different vibe.
Staff member
But now he can say Russia is threatened and use that to justify his military action.

I guess? It feels like Putin wildly overestimated Russia’s ability to just steal a nation. This whole situation has apparently been horribly received by his own people and has been horribly detrimental to Russia’s infrastructure. :rolleyes:

I also don’t think anyone would believe in any sort of justification considering that he invaded out of nowhere months ago. Other countries allying up now isn’t a justification for events that were already underway.

Either way, I’ve never seen someone so willingly self-sabotage their own country for a currently failing land grab. Just pathetic.

Hunga Munga

Scooby
Maybe , maybe not . He has said he would deploy to the Baltic states if they joined NATO , so maybe a rampage through Moldova , perhaps a bit of Serbia , maybe a land bridge to Kalingrad .... or a pipeline to Hungary . It's all snide if you ask me , Russia will happily bomb themselves to justify further war and invasion if Putin sees fit . There's no rational internal logic to his strategic aims .

To make him truly happy he wants the old Soviet bloc back . That will only happen over my dead body ....and the bodies of hundreds of millions of people just like me . I'd rather die with a rifle in my hand than cowering in a bunker , I imagine half of Europe feels similar ...and that's just the civilians .

In my opinion the invading forces are a bit too killy and rapey ....not to mention looty , to even deserve to be called an army . There's no accommodation for those forces , no surrender , no truce or peace talks . It's fight or die when they come calling .

In my opinion this puts us closer to WW3 rather than further away . I reckon , go for it . They're likely to use nukes whatever we do, they will provoke NATO to war , they will bait the EU , they will count on the US not having the stones . The West clearly doesn't want a war with Russia . It's bad business , largely illogical , but there we are .

Sometimes you have to stand up against the bully , even though you know it's gonna hurt .

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Bunnies frighten me
Black Thorn
Ukraine kitteh is now involved!

046H2iQ.gif

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I live in a neighbourhood that has thousands of Ukrainian families. There is one woman whose family had relocated to Germany previously, so they were safe but her husband's uncle is still there and still a surgeon and as well as his private practice, he has to do general surgery for people who have been wounded. He has not had a day off since the invasion started.

Ukraine seems to be divided into three parts, the east which is ethnically Russian, the west which is ethnically Ukrainian and the south which is ethnically Hungarian. Putin wants to begin by capturing the easterners and continue as best as he can with the rest of the country. Too bad he is killing off the people he had a chance of assimilating.

Hunga Munga

Scooby
So we're seeing vague signs of de-escalation if only in rhetoric . Russia have backed right off NATO expansion , they're showing bare levels of respect to the Mariupol fighters . I'm sure it's all in bad faith , but you take what profit you can get .

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
The longer it goes on the more Russian soldiers get killed, the lies Putin tells the Russian people should hit a brick wall soon, or hopefully Putin will headbutt a brick wall soon, hard.

Stake fodder
Stake fodder
It has been said that Russia may have lost 1/3 of its troops involved in the invasion, which is appalling!
Top Bottom