✨ Random Thread ✨

I have come to the conclusion that the reason banks and the like are getting rid of websites and replacing them all with apps is because they hate their customers and want to make them miserable by adding needless difficulties to their lives.
Also - profit. It's why everything is pushed online/apps. They don't need staff, or send their role offshore.
It's all about the $$$$.
 
Also - profit. It's why everything is pushed online/apps. They don't need staff, or send their role offshore.
It's all about the $$$$.

A couple of weeks ago, one of my card websites was taken down. Since then, I haven't been able to access the accounts. Another website could be used, but I had to get a passcode to even use it and even then, once I'd set it up, it won't recognise my details. And the app that replaced the original site I also can't use. "Help" things involve ringing up numbers and trying to work out which branch of the response tree actually has a human at the end of it.
 
A couple of weeks ago, one of my card websites was taken down. Since then, I haven't been able to access the accounts. Another website could be used, but I had to get a passcode to even use it and even then, once I'd set it up, it won't recognise my details. And the app that replaced the original site I also can't use. "Help" things involve ringing up numbers and trying to work out which branch of the response tree actually has a human at the end of it.
Honestly, that's the first time I've heard of the website being taken down. Poor decision on their part.
I don't get it? Why pull down their main site, only to direct you to another?

I hope you're able to find a solution!
 
Honestly, that's the first time I've heard of the website being taken down. Poor decision on their part.
I don't get it? Why pull down their main site, only to direct you to another?

I hope you're able to find a solution!

It's very common here, especially with credit and store cards. Site after site is being taken down, leaving you with only an app in some cases or another site in some cases that's part of the same group. Often, the websites don't have the options that the apps do either. The last site I had that didn't require the use of an app at all is now scheduled to go offline too.
 
It's very common here, especially with credit and store cards. Site after site is being taken down, leaving you with only an app in some cases or another site in some cases that's part of the same group. Often, the websites don't have the options that the apps do either. The last site I had that didn't require the use of an app at all is now scheduled to go offline too.
I'm annoyed on your behalf reading this! That is not fair on customers.
And what happens if an app experiences a technical glitch? Phones age out so quickly too that often newer apps aren't compatible with them (I also experienced that same issue).
 
I'm annoyed on your behalf reading this! That is not fair on customers.
And what happens if an app experiences a technical glitch? Phones age out so quickly too that often newer apps aren't compatible with them (I also experienced that same issue).

The whole reason I got a new phone was because I couldn't install the, now necessary, banking apps on it! Sure, it was an old phone, but for the internet I used my desktop. Or laptop. Or tablet. Only if I was out did I use the mobile. It still took photos and made phone calls and sent text messages and, as an added plus, had no room to install social media apps on it. 😀
 
The whole reason I got a new phone was because I couldn't install the, now necessary, banking apps on it! Sure, it was an old phone, but for the internet I used my desktop. Or laptop. Or tablet. Only if I was out did I use the mobile. It still took photos and made phone calls and sent text messages and, as an added plus, had no room to install social media apps on it. 😀
I don't like this idea of disposable technology. Me personally? I want to own something until it completely dies out on its own, not upgrade because I'm being forced to (like to use an app!). I own a television that would likely be considered an antique.

I'm perfectly happy with it, still works like a dream.
 
I don't like this idea of disposable technology. Me personally? I want to own something until it completely dies out on its own, not upgrade because I'm being forced to (like to use an app!). I own a television that would likely be considered an antique.

I'm perfectly happy with it, still works like a dream.

Preaching to the choir. I like my century-old radio and it still works without any repair required:

20220122-114447-001.jpg
 
It began raining, so I didn't get to El Pollo Loco. No way I'm driving that far in the rain.

Went to a market close by and bought a roast chicken. Only ate one piece, though I wanted more. Either way, mission accomplished! 😁
 
Randomness....
Did you know that 5 lbs of flour will make a lot of biscuits? 🍩 who knew??
I am hearing an oops there?! Enjoy!

Preaching to the choir. I like my century-old radio and it still works without any repair required:

20220122-114447-001.jpg

I feel you. Had a tube based record player & radio long after other people did... Think it was gran mum's

I had my first cell phone for 17 years. I was grateful it was a dumb phone. Only forced obsolescence (and the fact only i could use it bc all the numbers had worn off) made me upgrade. That phone still works, btw.

I don't romanticize DOS because outhouses are no tech too... but i still have a soft spot for Windows XP and 7
 
Last edited:
I have come to the conclusion that the reason banks and the like are getting rid of websites and replacing them all with apps is because they hate their customers and want to make them miserable by adding needless difficulties to their lives.

Also - profit. It's why everything is pushed online/apps. They don't need staff, or send their role offshore.
It's all about the $$$$.
Very much this. Of the three McDonalds nearest me, two allow ordering ONLY at the automated kiosk. There's A register but no one stationed at it. If you can't use the kiosk, you have to wait until you can see a staff and wave at them.

*I'm not a McDonald's fan but I did want to get the recent Godzilla Happy meal toys. I had a dietary question for my wife, and it took about 5 minutes before I even saw someone to flag down.
 
wolfheart
wolfheart
Godzilla minus one you mean?
Back
Top Bottom