What candy did you eat as a kid

Chocolate for me! Still true. But I do remember fondly the hard candy they used to sell in stores: all kinds of flavors of Life Savers and flat Jolly Rancher sour candy. They used to have a lot of penny candy in stores, too.

If you can believe it, we used to have candy cigarettes, that came in a pack and were some kind of powdery-hard white candy. They had powdered sugar on them, so when you "smoked" them, they would seem to blow smoke. Good grief!
 
wolfheart
wolfheart
we got chocolate cigarettes how stupid is that?
NotASlayer
NotASlayer
Whereas now we have candy-flavoured vapes...
1/2p sweets form the pick n' mix section... used to get 10 sweets every Sunday for movie afternoon (Blockbusters) for 5p and when we got older its was 20p but then it moved onto 1p sweets. Rock on!!

Sweets were things like;
Flying Saucers (sherbet things)
White and pink chocolate mice
Black Jacks (chewy sweets that turned your mouth black)
Fruit Salads (fruity chewy sweets)
Jelly snakes
Sherbet fountan ( sherbet in a cardboard tube with a chewy stick to eat it with - most bizarre)
Candy cigarette (yup, even with a lit end!)
 
DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
i remember black jack gum. I loved it. Also Tea Berry
We used to have chocolate in single squares for one cent. If you saw a lot of them someplace like a car dashboard, that was a sign that the person was diabetic because they were the preferred relief for a hypoglycemic attack.

My preference was always for chocolate as opposed to rock candy. Still don't like Rockettes or Skittles.
 
wolfheart
wolfheart
i know skittles but what are rockettes?(psst its me machinewolhear with a new name)
If you can believe it, we used to have candy cigarettes, that came in a pack and were some kind of powdery-hard white candy. They had powdered sugar on them, so when you "smoked" them, they would seem to blow smoke. Good grief!

Candy cigarette (yup, even with a lit end!)
We had these too, they were called Fags. And then the name got changed to Nags, and then I think they just disappeared cos I havent seen them for years.

Chuppa Chups were surely the cause of many childhood viruses, being shared between the whole age group!

I got a pack of WarHeads the other day and was so disappointed, I swear these used to be so hot or so sour you could barely eat them. Now they were just another drop of sugar, and not even that nice.

Chocolate has always been my true love. Caramello Koalas are the BEST. The giant ones. They used to be sold in schools as fundraisers and I would hunt those kids down for them. I enjoyed Mars Bars too, which are not the same as Mars Bars in some other countries. Ours have the caramel and nougat wrapped in chocolate. Kinder Surprise were always fun.
 
well, i grew up in three different countries... so I'm gonna start with the one i spent the most time in...

in addition to the ubiquitous chocolate. (in the 70s it was mostly Cadbury's chocolates and Tunnocks Caramel, which i believe are Scottish, then by the time I was in high school, the local companies started making chocolate.

yes, we too had candy cigarettes, and also gum cigarettes... and heart shaped candy with sayings written on... as well as 'hacks' cough drops... and 'icy mints' which were ubiquitous...

There's a lot of unique candy and sweets in the Caribbean. It's all part of the British Commonwealth so there's a lot of crossover - and probably why candy from other commonwealth countries and the UK made its way into the caribbean.

Regarding 'local' candy: where I went to high school, these are very, very popular.In addition to what you can buy commercially, people still make sweets in small to medium batches and sell in small quantities, that was even more the case when I was growing up. These were some of my favourite. As a kid, we could buy them singly. they were pretty strong, so you did not need a lot at one time. They're collectively called 'chinese prunes' or 'salt prunes' (the dry brown and orangey ones)
It's all part of the British Commonwealth. 2 of the three countries have these, but where I went to high school, these are very, very popular.

The black ones (in the wrapper) are not salty. They have quite a bit of licorice.


High school:

iu


iu
iu


iu



Elementary school:

1 tamarind balls,
2 grater cake - a coconut sweet, of which there were (and are) many varieties
3 Bustamante backbone (very hard, somewhat bitter, named after a historical hero - definitely an acquired taste. Most people suck rather than chew - i sometimes liked them, sometimes thought they weren't worth the trouble... depends on who made them, i think)

iu
iu

iu


Early elementary school/kindergarten:

whatever candy we could buy in Britain... was pretty young. I remember them being colourful and some of them 'tasting weird'... I think i only developed a taste for strong licorice in early adulthood 😎
iu
 
Last edited:
wolfheart
wolfheart
This colorfull licorice is called Engelse Drop in Dutch
All of it. LMAO No, but seriously, growing up in the 80s I ate a lot of Nestle crunch bars, Nerds, Smarties, Starburst... I like chocolate but if I'm going to eat candy I tend to prefer sour stuff. However, my allergy to red dye has made it hard to enjoy a lot of the stuff I used to.
 
NotASlayer
NotASlayer
I like both sour and chocolate, but not together!
wolfheart
wolfheart
Nerds????
Was addicted to Pixie Stix & Pudding Pops as little kid. Can't seem to find either anymore. 😟
 
Back
Top Bottom