What is the saddest death in the Buffyverse?

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
Joined
Jun 5, 2008
Messages
7,272
Age
41
Location
Tulsa
For me, it's Joyce. Especially since I lost my own mother last year, I can't even watch "The Body" anymore. Though my mother's death was not sudden, I can relate to the feelings Buffy experiences: shock, denial and confusion about what to do and how to act.

Runner up goes to Fred. I'm not a huge fan of her character, but seeing how much it affects Wes is heartbreaking.
 
My choices would be the same characters, except I'd swap them around in-universe and Fred's death would be the saddest for me. The line, "Please, Wesley, why can't I stay?" gets me every single time.

In real life, also experiencing the loss of a parent, it would be Joyce. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to watch The Body again.

Oh, and special mention to Buffy herself in The Gift. The music, and when she turns to jump off the tower/the sequence with her voiceover, that also gets me every time.
 
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Hey, something we agree on, lol!
On Buffy I'm most upset by Tara's death, especially with it coming right after her and Willow reconcile. Buffy's sacrifice in The Gift moves me, but its not sad to me since she is saving the world by doing it. Its Buffy being the archetypal hero who must ultimately give their life to save the day. Fred's death on Angel is heartbreaking, as is Wesley's in the finale. I think to me maybe Joyce's death is less sad because all season we've been hearing that she's ill, we're kind of prepared for it. I understand for someone who has lost a parent, especially if it was in similar circumstances, it could affect people more.
 
Doyle's death is sad "is that it am I done" and is given extra tragedy given what happens to the actor in real life.

Anya's could've been great, if she'd been killed off in Selfless rather than how she was in Chosen

Buffys death was also the perfect way to go, if they hadn't brought her back
 
Last edited:
hoponlilmama
hoponlilmama
Aw, Doyle! :(
Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
I just rewatched Hero and was reminded how much I miss Doyle! Wrote a post about it in the episode discussion thread...
Ranking deaths seems a bit reductive... But some hit me really hard.

Far and away is Tara. She deserved so much more. Her life was so incomplete and she was easily the most decent person in the show. I loved her. She is gone.

In Angel, i feel that way about Cordelia. It hurt what they did to her, then when they brought her back it was only so they could kill her off for good. It was tragic and it felt like a big $%#you to the fans by Joss.

It hurt that Joyce died, but I think most of us are on some level prepared to lose parents. It is the natural order whether you are 20ish(Buffy) or 64 (when my mum died) or nearly 70 (when my mum lost her mum) They will always be gone and it will always hurt... But it is a would we all prepare for and know we must cope with.

Of the other deaths in the series, i think i cried hardest for Doyle. Then i cried for Glenn Quinn.

Oddly, i found Buffy's second death AND her resurrection really upsetting. I cried hard. And i hated the message that it sent. Even though it is what it says on the tin, slayer expriation date here: I wanted Buffy to LIVE.

Then she came back in that box. That was almost a death of its own. One of the most horrifying moments on either series. I would not have forgiven my friends for that one. It changed my burial plans to cremation plans. Nightmare Fuel.
 
For me, it's Joyce.

I can definitely see that. Joyce was never one of my favorite characters (not that I disliked her, I just didn't love her), but the way her death hits the gang, every one of them, is so incredibly moving. I don't know if it's the saddest death, but it is perhaps the death that feels the most real. There are no vampires, demons, or ghosts, no magic curses or evil law firms. It's just something that happened, something that happens to people every day in the real world. I think that makes it so much harder to deal with emotionally.

Especially since I lost my own mother last year, I can't even watch "The Body" anymore. Though my mother's death was not sudden, I can relate to the feelings Buffy experiences: shock, denial and confusion about what to do and how to act.

I'm sorry to hear that, Joanie. Nothing to be said about it, I suppose, as nothing said can change anything, but I care. So there's that, whatever it's worth.🫂

Runner up goes to Fred. I'm not a huge fan of her character, but seeing how much it affects Wes is heartbreaking.

Fred's death wrecks me every time. It's twice as painful for me because (after Doyle's death, and not including Faith because she's technically a Buffy character and never becomes a main character here, though "Five by Five" and "Sanctuary" are some of the best writing in the entire series) Wesley and Fred are my favorite characters, in that order, so I'm dealing with the death of poor Fred and the grief of Wesley at the same time. Like watching Spock die and dealing with Kirk's grief at the same time. It's heartbreaking. I admit it makes me cry with no shame.

Doyle's death is sad "is that it am I done" and is given extra tragedy given what happens to the actor in real life.

I loved Doyle. He was my favorite character in the series until his death (after which, it is Wesley.) It is sad but I think it has a strange note of hopefulness to it as well, being his redemption for his past mistakes, a heroic sacrifice, and one he's okay with. It's always sad when beloved characters die, but when they choose to die in order to save others, I think it softens the blow some (not to say it can't still be devastating) and allows us to also admire and celebrate what they have chosen for themselves.

I think Doyle's death is one of my favorite (as far as being well-written) deaths for a character in fiction. That "Is that it? Am I done?" at the end just makes it hit so much harder. And Joss was absolutely right to refuse to allow him to be brought back.

Buffys death was also the perfect way to go, if they hadn't brought her back

Yes, she did have a perfect ending in sacrificing herself for Dawn, and for everyone else, the way that she did. Though I love a lot of episodes from the next two seasons (even if some parts of those seasons are handled really poorly), like Once More With Feeling, Tabula Rasa, and Life Serial, it would have been a great point for a spin-off series, perhaps with the Scooby Gang on their own, or with Faith, I don't know. They could have figured something out.

Bit surprised no one's mentioned Jenny Calendar.

This is one of the first people I thought about when I read this question. Aside from Jesse in the pilot, Jenny is the first death of someone close to the main cast, someone we know and love, and it has a huge impact on them (as it did on me) -- Buffy's shock and guilt (over having not killed Angelus), Willow's breakdown, Xander's anger ("...faster pussycat, kill, kill"), and Giles' desire for revenge. I think it's one of the stronger episodes of the season.

Another death I never hear discussed is Jonathan's. I get that he wasn't a main cast member, or even a main supporting character, but he was on the show since season two's "Inca Mummy Girl," and appears in twenty-four episodes of the series overall, an entire season's worth. I personally find his death, as a guy we watched struggle with loneliness, depression, and a need for a sense of belonging for years, a guy who allowed himself to be made complicit in evil by Warren, who then realized what he had done and tried to do something right with his life, incredibly sad.

Jonathan: No, I'm serious. I really miss it. Time goes by, and everything drops away. All the cruelty, all the pain, all the humiliation. It all washes away. I miss my friends. I miss my enemies. I miss the people I talked to every day. I miss the people who never knew I existed. I miss 'em all... I wanna talk to them, you know? I wanna find out how they're doing. I - I wanna know what's going on in their lives.

Andrew: You know what? They don't wanna talk to you. All those people you just mentioned? Not one of them is sitting around going, "I wonder what Jonathan's up to right now?" Not one of them cares about you.

Jonathan: Well, I still care about them. That's why I'm here.
 
I loved Doyle. He was my favorite character in the series until his death (after which, it is Wesley.) It is sad but I think it has a strange note of hopefulness to it as well, being his redemption for his past mistakes, a heroic sacrifice, and one he's okay with. It's always sad when beloved characters die, but when they choose to die in order to save others, I think it softens the blow some (not to say it can't still be devastating) and allows us to also admire and celebrate what they have chosen for themselves.
I loved Doyle too. He was supposed to be a permanent part of Angel Investigations, Angel's best friend and right hand man. But when Glenn was fired, Wesley replaced him. I would never compare Doyle and Wesley, but I see fans doing that. Both are wonderful characters, and I don't' doubt if Glenn had been kept on the series, his character development would have met if not rivaled Wesley's.

Wesley is also in my top five favorite characters, and definitely my favorite on Angel.

Random but I also loved Glenn on Roseanne! One of the greatest sitcoms of all time...but that's for another thread 😉
I think Doyle's death is one of my favorite (as far as being well-written) deaths for a character in fiction. That "Is that it? Am I done?" at the end just makes it hit so much harder. And Joss was absolutely right to refuse to allow him to be brought back.
Right? It hits so hard. I just re watched "Hero" the other day...such a great episode.
Another death I never hear discussed is Jonathan's. I get that he wasn't a main cast member, or even a main supporting character, but he was on the show since season two's "Inca Mummy Girl," and appears in twenty-four episodes of the series overall, an entire season's worth. I personally find his death, as a guy we watched struggle with loneliness, depression, and a need for a sense of belonging for years, a guy who allowed himself to be made complicit in evil by Warren, who then realized what he had done and tried to do something right with his life, incredibly sad.
Agree. Johnathan is one of those characters I just feel incredibly sorry for. As a recurring character, he could have gotten such better storylines. The way he was killed was really depressing, and he deserved better. Like Andrew, I don't think Johnathan was evil, just blindly followed Warren and idolized him, and never felt like he belonged anywhere.
 
Back
Top Bottom